Vruttirupen Samsthita

|| Ya Devi Sarvabhuteshu Vruttirupen Samsthita
Namastasye Namastasye Namastasye Namo Namah||

My group of enthusiastic screamers repeated aloud trying to get the pronunciations right.

"What do you mean by Vrutti?"

The question came up almost instantly.

Ofcourse the six-seven year olds watched wide eyed between the elder students and me like witnessing a tennis match. Little sponges that they are, their eyes shone with excitement as usual. Firstly they had said it properly, secondly remembered the simple logic, just one word different in each shloka. I could see my daughter hiding her proud smile unsuccessfully.

A look round around the room and everyone awaited the answer.

I said, "Vrutti means Attitude."

Yes they had heard the word. How about what Attitude means?

As an example I brought up the topic of Gandhi and was happy to know that their teachers or probably parents or a grandparent had told them about words like Ahimsa, Satya and the famous 'provide the other cheek' story.

"So attitude means the way you approach any given situation." I said.

"So, aunty, you are trying to say, if we get bullied we should keep enduring it?"

Pat came the question!

Thankfully I had someone better than me sitting there to explain.

"It means a punch for a punch is not a resolution. You can try talking to them, raising the issue through proper disciplinary channels, but avoid becoming someone you despise. If you punch back and win, it might satisfy your ego and you may haul an extra punch which makes you a bigger bully. And if for some reason you fail, the fight isn't over, also atleast one bully always prevails then." She explained calmly.

"But isn't succumbing to aggression a crime as well?" A bright pre-teen asks.

"Reporting and following up isn't succumbing." I try to explain but my inexperience fails to satisfy their hearts.

"But devi ma killed Mahishasur!" That came out of a six year old.

That was the root of the topic. The divine feminine or shakti who influences all these attributes in every living form. We derive energy or shakti for every action. Its the attitude or the thought behind the action which differentiates between divinity and agrression.

My friend smiled at me because I was kinda stumped by a six year old! So taking the reigns of the conversation back she replied once again.

"God made everyone equal. He created us humans unlike any other because we can think, process, observe and create something. No other animal has that vast a range of actions to chose from.
Our Vrutti or Attitude defines which action we pick first. Throwing punches shouldn't be the first pick. Understand, process, talk, escalate.

First give your patience and love and see if gets reflected. See if there is scope for change. When there isn't, then turn to Mahishasurmardini."

"But it's so tough!" I eyed my usually shy daughter who had spoken looking at me ofcourse.

"Yes it tough to supress the urge of boxing your little bro's ears when he messes with your crayons."

She shrugged like "Duh! That's what I am talking about!"

"Its tough and gaining that level, that attitude is our homework in the study of life. Would we remember Gandhi if he hadn't invested his life in gaining this attitude?"

I get many heads shaking.

"Would people have followed him, millions around the world if they thought this wasn't going to get them anywhere?"

Shaking heads again.

"Do you think he became father of the nation just by giving speeches and not acting upon his teachings himself?"

"Nooooo" comes the chorus.

After about twenty minutes I sat satisfied, more enlightened as well in front of a bunch of kids who had asked a very important question for the way the world is today.

Would Ram get back his rightful empire with his attitude in the current world?

Would Tilak be revered or punished severely for his righteousness today?

Would Gandhi get us freedom if the year was 2018?

The answers to it all also come from the Man of the day.

"Be the change you want in the world."

This vrutti, this attitude is needed everywhere. On the road, at school, in an office, with a spouse, against a bully, even on social media. Even Tendulkar does not hit every ball that comes to him. He waits for the perfect ones.

Our attitude defines our day. Its the most nearsighted gain of all.

I gain energy from the universe in the form of oxygen, from food, even from love and support. Where and how do I invest every bit of it?

Such a simple thought but as soon as its digested, it becomes a war inside of the body and soul. The body which can't let go of habits and the soul which has discovered a truth worth investing in.

Gandhi conquered the body and accepted this truth at a very young age. We can have opposing opinions about the man because ofcourse, he ensured we get the freedom of speech. But try to be one percent Gandhi and the weight of this tiny word "Vrutti" makes it's presence felt like none other.