Chapter I

Chapter 1

{present day}

"I'm here, I'm here! Sorry, I lost track of time," I rushed out as I stumbled into Alex's living room. Alex was one of my best friends, and the guitarist in our band.

"You're late for every practice, Jules. We've sort of come to expect it," Katrina said, rolling her eyes.

"Let's just start," Ryder said.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I'll buy dinner to make up for it."

"Okay, you're forgiven," Alex said with a laugh.

I grabbed my microphone, Katrina slung her bass strap over her shoulder, Alex picked up his guitar, and Ryder sat down behind the drum kit.

"What are we starting with?" I asked.

"Let's just go through the set list, we have that gig tomorrow night," Kat suggested.

"Got it. Start us off, Ry."

He hit his sticks together a few times and started playing, throwing us into the first song.

~*~

"Okay, where does everyone want to get dinner?" Kat asked after we had put all our instruments away.

"I think it's up to Juliette, since she's buying," Ryder remarked with a smirk. "You are still paying, right?"

"Yeah, yeah," I waved my hand at him dismissively. "I don't know, let's just go to Roberto's."

"Fine, fine. We always go there," Alex rolled his eyes.

"It's close and not expensive and good. Get over it, Alex."

"Fine, let's go."

We all grabbed our stuff and headed outside, piling into Ryder's truck. Ryder drove, Alex sat shotgun, and Kat and I sat together in the back.

"So are you guys ready for tomorrow?" I asked, grinning. I always got excited for gigs, but this one was especially exciting; it was going to be the biggest one we'd ever played.

"Fuck yeah!" Alex yelled, grinning with me.

We drove down the street with the windows down and All Time Low blasting. We pulled up into the parking lot of Roberto's, and I heard Ryder groan and Alex curse.

"What's wrong?" Kat asked before I could.

"Look whose car is here," Ryder nodded his head to a beat up blue car we all recognized all too well.

"Shit," I said under my breath.

"Does this mean we have to find somewhere else to go?" Kat asked.

"No. We're not going to let them ruin our day," I insisted. "After all, who got the gig tomorrow? Us, not them."

"I don't know, Julie," Alex said, looking uneasy.

"Are you seriously going to let those punks dictate our lives? No! Let's go, now."

"Jules-" Ryder started but I cut him off.

"Let's go."

I wasn't exactly the leader of the band, despite being the lead singer. I usually didn't take this position, it was usually Alex. But sometimes I had to take the reins, especially when it had to do with 5 Seconds of Summer. They were our rival band, and the rest of my band became pansies when 5SOS was involved in any situation.

I led them inside the small Mexican restaurant we went to so often. When we got inside, it wasn't hard to find where the other band was sitting. Their guitarist, Michael, had bright blue hair right now. But whatever color he dyed it, he was always easy to pick out.

"Let's just order, we don't need to even notice them."

The others nodded and we went up to the counter to order. After we had all placed our orders and I had paid for everyone, we went to get a table. We started to walk straight by the other band's table, but a voice stopped us.

"Oh look at that, it's Cherry Street," Michael's voice remarked, making me turn to face them.

"What do you want, Clifford?" I asked.

"Williams," he nodded at me in greeting.

"Are you guys looking forward to your gig tomorrow? Oh wait, that's right. We got that gig, not you." I smirked at him.

"Fuck off. The only reason you guys got that was because you called them first. It has nothing to do with talent. If it did, we'd get it way before you."

"In your dreams, Clifford."

He rolled his eyes at me in disgust, looking to his band mates to back him up.

"Why don't you just scurry along there, Williams? You and the rest of your 'band'," Calum remarked, putting air quotes around the word band.

"Oh, fuck you, Hood. You'll back up anything that pussy of a guitarist says."

I glared at Michael. We'd had a rivalry for a long time, stronger than that between the rest of our bands. We had history, and nothing makes for a stronger hatred than history.

"You're the only pussy here, Williams," Michael said, returning my glare, his face turning red. "Go fuck yourself, bitch."

"Hey, fuck off!" Alex said, stepping up beside me.

"You're only saying that because you wish you could fuck me, Clifford. Well newsflash, that's never going to happen."

"I would never fuck you, even if you begged me to!"

"God, we're in a public place, Mike! Will you two just shut up and stop talking about fucking?" Their lead singer, Luke, spoke up.

"Seriously, Jules. Just drop it, please," Kat begged me.

"Whatever, I think our food's ready," I spun on my heel and stalked off to the pick-up counter.

I hated Michael Clifford with every fiber of my being. I'd hated him since we were 13 years old, and I'd never stop. I'd hate him until the day I die. The only one in the band who knew about my past with Michael was Alex; we'd been friends since we were 10, so he'd been with me through it all. But Kat and Ryder came along later, and I never wanted to tell anyone what had happened between us, ever. So they just thought I hated Michael because of the band rivalry.

"You okay?" Alex asked softly in my ear, resting his hands on my shoulders. He was a good bit taller than me, so he was bent down to reach my ear.

"I'm fine. He's such an asshole."

"I know he is."

"Whatever, let's just get our food and finish quickly. I need a cigarette."

We collected our orders and brought them over to a table where Kat and Ryder were sitting, which was far from 5 Seconds of Summer. As soon as we sat down, Ryder starting discussing all the technicalities of the show tomorrow, and I let myself get lost in the conversation. I didn't need to get hung up over Michael Clifford; never again.

(A/N) HELLO THERE! So I decided to finally post one of my stories instead of just poetry because I write them all time and figured why not share them? This is one of the first stories in a long time that I've felt like I could continue on in order to post it, so I figured I'd use it.

Please give me feedback and, honestly, if you see a spelling or grammar mistake, point it out. I won't be offended, and it's important to me that my story is correct in that aspect. Also I write these in my notes app on my iPod so grammar and spelling mistakes could occur easily without me noticing, although I've proofread this like 4 times.

Vote and share this and follow me and whatever just please give me your opinions :-)

Love you guys,

xoxo Maddie