A Talk of Gods and Whatnot

Start from the beginning

They made their way to the center of the tavern, where a tall, yellow haired priest opened his arms to the cobwebbed ceiling. Bless this, bless that, be thankful for whatever life has given you and whatnot - was all I bothered to hear. They then dispersed and began entangling any unfortunate folk that dared glance at them. Renzer shook his head.

"It's a bit confusing isn't it?" I whispered to him. "Dedicating your life to what's probably just stories written by some man many years ago."

"Like how you're dedicating your life to stories?" Renzer raised his only visible brow.

"Well that's different," I told him. "I find-"

"What is it that is confusing?" a woman from the group approached.

I sighed as her tranced eyes and eccentric smile loomed over me. I tried to ignore her.

"Good sir," she pressed. "What is it that is confusing?"

I turned to Renzer and found only an empty chair.

"The word of Aer is-"

"I'm not really interested," I gestured for her to give me space. "It's good that you have a religion, I just believe that-"

"Father Bellamy!" she called.

I cursed silently.

"This man here is confused about the word of Aer," she told him.

Father Bellamy only gave the woman a small nod and gestured her away. I was glad to be rid of her uncomfortably close presence, but only found myself missing it once the priest got even closer than she did.

"You are confused?" he asked, bearing the same smile as his followers. "What is it you are confused about, my good sir?"

"Nothing," I told him while trying to summon my own ersatz expression.

"Maybe you are confused by our faith?" He got even closer, his strands of yellow hair wisping near me. "How we are practicing it, yes?"

"I just see it as unnecessary. The way-"

"Why it is all necessary!" Bellamy chuckled as if I had told him a flattering joke. "The world we live in now, full of poverty and injustice, is so because of blasphemy and heresy. Because of these things it is now a world where gods fall from the sky. We should all find solace in faith. We should all find it with Aer."

I scoffed. "Gods falling from the sky. I doubt that's even the case."

"Well it is true, my friend," he laid his hand on my shoulder. Renzer's demonic touch didn't even feel as odd as his. "We must all call upon each other, unite under Aer and follow his word. Only then can we achieve this peace we are looking for."

I scoffed again, though this time it was only to fill an awkward silence I knew was coming. When it did come, it hit hard and Father Bellamy's tranced stare didn't help at all.

Then a comforting voice behind my shoulder caused me to jump at my seat. "You are Celestine?"

The voice came from a man who wore Celestine blue, a pair of spectacles, and a silver circlet around his short brown hair. He also had a peaceful aura around him, one that I recognized during my first gathering in Solace. Telray, another Celestine priest. I had heard he was kinder than most.

He rescued me by offering his hand to Father Bellamy for a shake. Soon both priests engaged in a conversation, one I quickly left.

*** *** ***

I found Renzer staring at the road leading to the docks outside of town. When asked why, he only told me that trouble is coming. I stood by him for a good minute or two before the sound of clanging armor approached us.

It was Sir Theodore, patrolling the now lonely streets. I had met the man for only a quick exchange in Solace and by gods was it a memorable one.

I had been writing in the tavern when he suddenly walked in with a big smile and a basket of flowers under his arm. These were not the typical heads you'd find anywhere in the mountain, for each petal was colorful and healthy. Some were circlets he happily wove himself. Everyone got one.

Now he was heavily armored with a shield on one hand and a sword on another. He also did not smile and looked at us as if a lion prowled behind our shoulders. A morbid comparison, but it was the best way I could describe it.

"How goes it, good sirs?" he bowed to us.

"Fine, Sir Theodore," I said. "We were just getting away from all that Celestine chatter inside. Father Bellamy. Do you know much about the man?"

"Father Bellamy," he raised his brows far above his already wide spectacles. "I believe he and his followers mean well but their actions have caused nothing but show hypocrisy and cast a shadow over those good men and women who practice the faith the way it should. There is nothing noble about using poisoned words to force unsuspecting individuals in a god they may not completely believe in. You have to show these people through kindness and gentleness the benefits of having a faith and only then can you actually bring in the true believers - the men and women who will entrust their entire lives for something that is real. I believe that is noble."

It was only when Sir Theodore bid us farewell did I notice how ridiculous I must have looked. Raised brows, dropped jaw, and cocked neck. I doubt I recorded each word he said perfectly, but dear reader, believe me when I say that they were reassuring and in fact noble.

I doubt even Sir Theodore himself remembered those exact words, but that is one of the reasons why I write this chronicle - to document the acts of the Returned, no matter how minute or quiet they could be.

This chronicle, which I entitled The Red Gathering, have acts that are far from minute and not at all quiet. It all began when Renzer snapped his eyes back to the docks, where screaming and fighting broke the silent night.