Chapter Twenty-Eight: Butt-tape

Start from the beginning

I stood next to Clarke as he looked around the room. Last time we had been to one of these Clarke had been very nervous the whole time, and this time he was actually quite calm. I mean he was still extremely worried because he needed to secure a client tonight, but he was much more optimistic about it.

"Hey, I'm going to go talk to those people over there," Clarke said to me suddenly, pointing towards a group with someone he recognised. "You can mingle for a bit. I'll need you later though."

"Yeah, course, sounds good," I agreed quickly. Clarke needed to mingle and be friendly before he tried to make any deals.

"Alicia, you better come with me," Clarke told her.

Alicia nodded and locked her arm around Clarke's as they made their way over the group of people. Alicia gave me a kind of sympathetic look that I was being left alone, but it was what I expected, it was what happened last time and I honestly didn't mind, and the more people that saw Clarke and Alicia together, the better.

It was very easy to entertain myself at a place like this anyway. I got a drink or two because I could and watched the live band, which picked up as the night went on. I don't how long I was left alone and I couldn't even see Clarke and Alicia anymore, but I found myself thinking that was for the best.

"What exactly is a pretty lady like you doing standing alone at a party like this?"

I moved in surprise to the fact that someone had spoken to me. I had been so focused on the band I hadn't even realised someone had walked up to me. He was tall, clean and sharp dark hair, strong figure and in a very nice suit.

"Maybe I want to stand here alone, how would you know?" I asked with shrug. Wow, that was a weird bit of crazy confidence.

The guy laughed, he couldn't have been much older than me. "See, that's kind of attractive. At least tell me why you're here, so I can figure out why you're alone."

I smiled a little. "Well sorry to disappoint you, but I work for someone here. I'm their assistant."

"No, no, that's not disappointing," he said quickly shaking his head. "Your job is very important. Without assistants I doubt most of us would be here, or very possibly this event wouldn't exist."

I laughed slightly. He wasn't wrong, at least in my eyes. I knew as well as Clarke that he wouldn't be at half his meetings if it wasn't for me. It was hard to believe how some people mistreated their assistants, and I knew it happened, because yes we didn't earn as much money but what we did was just as important. I mean, I literally made Clarke's life happen.

"You are not wrong," I agreed, smiling.

"Oh, how rude of me, I just realised I gave no explanation of who I am. My name is Heath Gunn," he said proudly.

He had every reason to be proud too. I knew who Heath was, and I knew because I knew about the company he worked for, Gunn Industries. It was a direct competitor of Clarke's company, but a friendly one. The only reason for that was because they were on opposite sides of the coast and they didn't exactly interfere with each other, business wise, expect for events like this. Henry always had a good relationship with the CEO of Gunn Industries, I mean they both built companies from the ground up.

"Am I supposed to be impressed?" I teased. After Clarke, it didn't exactly phase me anymore.

"Well, no, I guess," Heath agreed. "Most people just know who I am, I never have to explain it."

"And you still don't, I'm just not super impressed," I shrugged. "You're the son of Wallace Gunn."

"Ah, okay, who do work for?" Heath said suspiciously.