"Again," she insisted when I finished and I laughed out loud in amusement.

"No can do, we have places to be sweetie," I refused and she pouted sulkily, earning another chuckle from both me and Jason who had been watching the two of us silently from the sidelines, a smile on his face.

"Alright, let's go before anymore unexpected distraction interrupt us," I said and headed towards the doorway, Jason following after me, grabbing everything that we would need. "Devon, let's go," I shouted and heard shuffling from the living room and Devon appeared a few seconds later and stuck close as we made our way out the house and to the car, never uttering a sound.

I found that unnerving really. I had never seen a childlike Devon before; he was the exact opposite of children his age: he was a quiet boy, usually kept to himself most times, he was also obedient and would do as he was told when asked, though I guess that's a good thing.

And don't get me wrong, I loved the kid, he was extremely sweet and I dotted on him like the loving parent I was, spoiling him with books and anything else he wanted. I did the same to Katie, though she preferred toys and dolls more than anything.

We reached the car and I ushered the kids into the back seat and made sure they were strapped in before heading over to the passenger side. Jason climbed in, turned on the car, and we were off. I fiddled with the cross necklace around my neck as Jason drove to Ross's house, recalling, yet again, the moment he gave it to me and how jubilant I had been.

It was a few days after we left my parent's house and returned to Jason's flat. He had given it to me after telling me to close my eyes, and when he instructed for me to open them up I immediately saw the cross and I remember him telling me how he hadn't had the chance to give it to me because of all the shit that happened.

I couldn't believe he had even remembered about it, and now that I think about it, the moment when he had told me he forgot something in the store, it must have been then that he had bought it; I just didn't realize that little detail until now. Then again, I was distracted by Tristan's sudden appearance around that time.

I was startled out of my revering when the car came to a stop in front of Ross's house and I climbed out and helped get the kids out. We walked over to the front door and I knocked on it, and it opened a few seconds later.

Ross greeted us with a large grin that stretched along his face. "Jason, Zachary," he said happily, then bent down until he was eye level with the kids. "Hey Devon, Katie, you guys ready for a night full of fun?" Ross asked.

"Yes!" Katie laughed, jumping up and down in excitement while Devon nodded his head, his eyes lighting up and a brief smile spread across his face.

It was the most emotion I had seen him display in a long while and I couldn't help the stab of jealousy that came with this realization and I wondered if he would ever learn to be open about what he was feeling one day.

I shook myself of my thoughts and rolled my eyes at Ross in exasperation; he only grinned back. "Just don't let them stay up too late past their bed time," I said and chuckled.

"Got it. Now kids, you have everything you need for your sleepover? Okay, good. Hand your bags over to me and go on inside, I'll be in there in a second," Ross informed them and they ran past him and into the house, disappearing down the hallway and into the living room, leaving an echo of excited laughter in their wake.

"Alright Ross, take good care of our children, if anything happens to them, I'm holding you responsible," Jason warned, his expression serious but Ross waved off his worries.

"Yeah, yeah, I got it already. Now enough dilly dallying, go have fun on your date," Ross made shooing motions at us and Jason smirked.

"We will," Jason replied knowingly.