"Later, okay?"

"Thee, I trust you'll come to me in your own time, but I have got to hear all the tea, alright?"

"Fine, fine, after school, you know our favorite place."

"Alrighty," Ethan saluted her, his signature move to everyone- whether in an honest or sarcastic way. This moment was sincere, and she was grateful for him.

"You know I love you, Ethan," she smiled. 

"Of course, Thee," he smiled back. 

She looked up to see Josh's back turned from her, just a few chairs away. His head then turned slightly as if he were about to turn around to face her, then turned back to grin widely for the Booker girl.

Maybe she wanted to be the one next to that loser, smiling and laughing at some inside joke the two shared. The only inside joke she and Josh ever shared was her life story.

As she focused her attention back to writing on her notebook, Ethan nudged her and pointed at a potential costume idea on his phone. "I heard they're going as a lightning bolt."

She snorted-though she didn't mean to. "Ethan, you're a genius. It does suck that you can't complete our squad costume idea, though."

"I know, but I've gotta do it. When else will I get the chance?" Ethan said. "I applied early decision."

"Yeah," she chewed her bottom lip. "I believe in you, Ethan."

"Thanks, Thee."

"So if two people are dating or they like each other, then usually at Halloween they'd dress up to match each other right?"

"Most of the time, that's why I'm planning my outfit after confirming with my sources what they're wearing."

"Interesting."

· · ·

She tapped her fingers on the table while waiting impatiently for her best friend to come over. Her idea was set in motion, costumes confirmed and underway. But that wasn't what they were going to talk about.

But as she received her fries and sipped her coke, a familiar boy sat down in the booth seat across from her. "Hi. Can we talk?"

"Oh," she blurted.

Josh rested his elbows over the table and was leaning over, waiting for her response. 

"Considering you're already in my booth, I'd say I don't have much of a choice," she said. "What do you want?"

"You're going to that party, aren't you?"