15

The soft glow of the moon was my only source of light through the thick forest, I could barely see the looming dark figures of the pine oaked trees that surrounded me. Being a son of Hades doesn't exactly mean getting the ability to see clearly in the dark, but being a dragon and having the same sight as one helped to navigate me around without bumping into a tree.

I continued to work my way through the forest, not risking myself being seen if I fly around the island, plus I wasn't sure if I'm even allowed to fly in the sky without being blasted by Zeus in another realm. After a few minutes of going through the darkness, I saw a faint glow of what seemed to be a fire. I approached the light with caution, knowing that there would be villagers by the fire. I told myself that I shouldn't investigate the fire, but something seemed to lure me towards the light, something that made my heart pound with adrenalin. I pushed my head through the bushes and my eyes were greeted with the sight of a monstrous fire, a small figure on their knees watching as a small house was being engulfed by those very flames. The small figure was a girl, she was covered with bruises and a few burns, her eyes filled with tears as they fell as large beads of water. 

I slowly let myself push past the bushes and I approached the girl, her dark timber coloured her was tainted with ashes. When I got closer to her, she turned her attention to me and scrambled back in fear and surprise, I couldn't tell her that I wouldn't harm her to calm her, but the girl just looked up at me in fear before she broke down into another pool of tears, now calling for her parents. 

"I-I'm going to get e-eaten by scary dragon, p-please help me..." She cried, "please, help me." I didn't know what to do, I never had to help anyone since I've always done everything by myself. I did what I thought would calm her down, or I hoped would help. 

I lightly rubbed her shoulder with my snout, letting out a low rumbling sound to try and soothe her, making it loud enough to at least make the cackle of the flames cruel laughs in the background of my calming purr-like sound. After a few moments of continuing my attempt at soothing the girl, she fell asleep from exhaustion. I placed her on my scaly back and walked back into the forest, away from the blazing home and underneath the blanket of darkness.