Battle of the Brazilian Library

Start from the beginning

Glancing back at the Kabuki Creatures, she sighed, gazing with lament at the rows upon rows of books. She didn’t want to, but she had no choice. Turning her heavy gaze upon the abominations, she smiled sweetly. “Allow me to escort you from the premises.”

Instantly, she was already before them, her leg slamming into the side of one of the Kabuki Creatures; they were completely unprepared, not having expected such speed from her. The hit monster flew from the force of the blow, sent smashing into one of the bookcases.

The other attempted to capitalize on this opening, mistaking her focus on its companion as a momentary lapse of awareness. From the long, dark sleeve came an exceptionally long, three-pronged blade, slashing towards the woman’s midsection. Exemplifying her quick reflexes, she twirled from the momentum of her previous kick, raising her leg even higher as the tip of the high heel parried the blades. The creature seemed confused, questioning how this was possible; inspecting the heel, however, it understood.

“I see you realized it,” the librarian said, her voice dripping with amusement. “You see the chipped paint on the front of my heel -- now you can see that it’s steel-toed. However, you’ll also feel it!”

She spun her body, her hands firmly planted on the ground, using the back of her other heel to slam into the creature’s mask. A screech from behind her indicated that the other had recovered and was homing in on her, and she brought her body together before launching herself away, using her elbows as a spring. The creature narrowly missed, instead, plowing into its companion. A chuckle hung in the air as the woman laughed at how miserable her assailants were. In truth, she couldn’t even consider them her assailants -- more so, the other way around.

She ran down the library corridor, blonde hair billowing out behind her,  eyes narrowed and focused ahead but her ears aware as to the location of the Kabuki Creatures; they were currently trailing her, darting from the tops of the large bookcases. Racing from the Children’s Section to the Young Adults Section, she dashed towards one of the racks, pulling out a book. Glancing at the title, she smiled: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. “This will do,” she murmured. She thrust open the book, flicking through the pages quickly, searching for the section that would be helpful. Just as she found it, the Kabuki Creatures appeared, blades whirling through the air as they darted towards her. She quickly placed her hand above the book, however, and raised it up, as though drawing water telepathically, the book’s words and pages beginning to glow.

Instantly, water exploded out of the book, torrents of liquid unrelenting in its bursting rage. Along with it, fantastical creatures like mermaids and even a giant squid appeared, the room quickly filling up with water and becoming an underwater arena. The previous book shelves and setting of the library was gone, and replaced with a world underwater, blue overtones and light streaming in slightly from above -- they were no longer in their world, but in the world of the book.

She saw the Kabuki Creature’s confusion, but that didn’t stop them in their pursuit -- their blades began to whir incredibly fast, act as propellers to push them through the water. She rolled her eyes, a few bubbles of air escaping her nose as she kept her mouth firmly sealed. She darted towards the surface, intent on trapping the Kabuki Creatures in this world.

They were quick on her tail, however, and almost caught up to her. She wasn’t having it -- glancing at the nearby creatures, mermaids, or men, if she wanted to be technical, she held her hand out to them. Their eyes glowed for a moment, before they swam towards her, aiming to intercept the Kabuki Creatures and occupy them.

She reached the surface, bursting out of the water -- the inhabitants of this world, witches and wizards, all gasped at the unexpected disturbance. She flashed them a winning smile, waving for a moment, before glancing down. The Kabuki Creatures appeared, whirling through the air with their handblade-propellers, and she frowned. They sure were persistent.