Nightmare: Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

"I don't."

"Why not? Like you said, he's rich and handsome."

"There's more to life than money, Bri," I said as I pulled out of the driveway. "Do other teenage girls talk to adults like this?"

"No, I'm special."

I glanced over and laughed. "Yes, you are."

"So, you'll go for it? I would like a baby cousin soon."

"Oh, no. Not you, too."

"What? What'd I say?"

I turned onto the boulevard and drove toward the interstate and downtown. "Let me set you straight. There is nothing between Mr. King and me. We live in two different worlds. He will not be supplying any baby cousins for you, so get the idea out of your head."

"You know, maybe you should consult him about that. He may have a different opinion."

I didn't comment. We arrived at the Quapaw Quarter. Bri pressed a hand to her stomach. "I'm hungry. Could we stop for something to eat? I think I want a doughnut."

My eyes widened. I looked at my watch. One-fifteen. "Shit!"

"Hey, I was only asking."

I parked outside the Ledbetter house and hurriedly dialed Bently's number.

"You're too late," he said, answering the phone.

"I got sidetracked. The answer is a doughnut."

"Nope, sorry." I could hear the smile in his voice. "Movie Night, at your place, Wednesday. And I get to choose the movie, and you get to make the snacks. I think I'll want...something Italian."

"Oh god, not The Godfather again? I can't stand that movie."

"You don't like The Godfather?" Bri asked beside me, and Bently chortled through the line, "And I'm bringing a friend. You'll like him. He's a firefighter. His name is Thomas."

"No."

"Yes," Bently argued. "You know the rules. I get to bring whomever I want, and you can't say anything about it."

"And does this firebug like The Godfather, too?"

"He does a great Brando impression," Bently laughed, enjoying himself too much at my expense.

"This may be the end of a beautiful friendship," I sneered into my phone and ended the call.

"What's wrong with The Godfather?" Bri asked.

"Just get out of the truck."

~~~~~

Bryce lay against the headboard of the hotel bed, attempting without success to ignore the ache in his muscles. His shower only added to the exhaustion. She barely broke a sweat, he mused. Up and down the fairways, Lily marched. Swinging her clubs with fluid motions of an accomplished athlete. And he played well, one stroke under hers, but it took all his concentration to do that.

Concentration he couldn't afford. The memory of Lily's petite body going through the motions of her game saturated his thoughts. No movement wasted, no put not planned and well executed. And she did it all with a furious passion that left him swollen for more.

I've got to get out of here.

He was glad he turned down her offer to work on a restoration with her. Another few hours in her presence would destroy his reserve. He reached his sore arms over to the phone and called Justin.

"Any news?"

"Nope. Garcia is still missing, and the blueprint copyright is taking a little longer to sort out. One date is from before the marriage, and another, modified design, is from during the marriage. I'm still looking into which copyright we own and which was from before the marriage. It would be easier if you would just ask Lily Watson."