Chapter 1 - The new year

I'm naming every chapter after a Death Cab For Cutie song, it's not really important but I just wanted to tell you that in case of any confusion. This chapter is not set on new years it's just the name of the song. Alright, Thanks!

Steve and Bucky had been in a relationship for about a year now, it had started the night before Bucky went back onto the ice, Bucky kissed Steve in Wakanda. Since then they had been able to keep their relationship on the down low. The avengers new about it - even the guardians new about, after mantis could tell they were in love, but thats a whole other story - nobody seemed to mind too much, with Tonys occasional 'get a room', but they knew he was only joking. 

Times have changed, of course they have! But after growing up in a time where you'd be battered and broken for being a homosexual, it wasn't easy to just adjust. As much as they wanted to be able to walk down the street holding hands, to be the annoying couple that kiss and cuddle on the train and say the words "My boyfriend..." they couldn't bring themselves to do it. They'll come out eventually but right now wasn't the correct time for them, they were pretty content just being able to be together for the meantime.

As of the present day, they've been living in an apartment in Manhattan, New York. It was late November, the air was crisp and cold, and night had dropped. Steve and Bucky were walking round an early christmas market. Although they didn't normally show public displays of affection, there was the occasional kiss. And tonight Steve was feeling confident so in a sparse section of the market Steve snuck up on Bucky with a hug,

"Huh- oh steve" Bucky was surprised once he turned round to see his lover. Steve gave him a kiss, it was only brief but it was still nice for them to feel and act like a real couple every once in awhile, all this sneaking around wasn't exactly healthy.

"The lights are just beautiful, aren't they?" Bucky said staring up at some of the street lights. He was certainly able to appreciate the smaller aspects of life, something as simple as the christmas lights in New York could lift his spirits, because after years of being confined to the desolate, monochrome walls and chains Hydra had locked him in, he couldn't help but see the world as beautiful - even if he's a raging pessimist!

"You're gonna love it when they turn on the christmas tree" Steve said, arms still wrapped around him. They stared in awe for minute until Steve gave him a peck on the cheek and said "Maybe we should just rent a movie and order Chinese, instead of cooking some elaborate meal."

"Mhm" Bucky agreed.

After that it was only harder for them not to let their secret slip, but they weren't far from home anyway so they'll just have to hold on.

Considering they were in an almost isolated scene when they kissed, and nobody seemed to recognise them when they were there, they assumed they were fine, however journalist always grab you were you're vulnerable, most have no morals, and with photos of them kissing theres no chance they'd ever let this story slide. 

A journalist had photos.

Evidence.

Proof.

And one hell of an article.