•2•

Dan

     I wake up in a hospital bed, with at least two IV's in me, and what I assume are a lot of pain meds. Why am I here? All I remember is Robert with a knif-oh. Would that explain the pain in my stomach?  I lift up the hospital gown to see stitches go up my stomach, realizing I was stabbed. Oh my god I was stabbed? He stabbed me? I hear a knock at the door and rush to put the hospital gown back down.

    "Good morning Mr.Howell." I hear a familiar voice say, causing me to jerk my head.

    It's then I see a sight I really don't want to see. Phil. I'd recognize his face anywhere, his icy blue eyes or his black hair. He's my nurse? Silently, he checks my vitals, while sneaking glances at me.

      "How long have I been here?" I question.

        "You've been loopy on pain meds for about two days. Police may be coming today to question you. This is your third day here." He explains, writing down scribble after scribble, not even looking at me anymore.

         "What happened to me?" I start to cry, but it hurts to cry.

           "Hey Dan, please don't cry. You cried yesterday too to the point you were sick. I'll explain everything to you, my lunch break is in about 10 minutes. I know what happened, if you give me 10 minutes I'll explain. I promise." He uses the voice he always used to use on me when I was upset.

    I nod carefully, and he smiles, before leaving the room silently. I see my phone sitting on the table, which I grab quickly. No texts..no messages. I feel tears run down my face, the sudden feeling of loneliness setting in. I can't really sit up, nor can I turn on my side without pain.

    I see a tray say in front of me, and I'm met with Phil with his own lunch.

     "I grabbed your tray on the way, I figured if I'm going to eat lunch you should too." He shrugs, sitting on the chair beside my bed.

     "Phil..how did I get here?" I ask.

       "Ambulance, at about 2am. I was on staff, you were stabbed roughly 4 times. Beat up pretty bad too, people heard screaming so they called 911, which found you on the floor. You were rushed into emergency surgery, it was a horrible situation all around. You've been out of it for the past two days." He finally finishes and all the memories from that night come to mind.

     "He never loved me." It finally hits me, the man I've loved for two years never loved me.

All I was to him was a game. Somebody he could hurt.

       "But he said he loved me." I finally croak out.

      I reach my hand up to touch my face, and I feel swelling by my jaw and eye. He hit me? Well it wasn't the first time but never to this point. I see Phil, his eyes giving away the emotions that his face won't.

         "Dan, I don't know what to say. I don't know how he couldn't love you. I mean what's not to love. I don't know how he could put his hands on you and not feel like he was punched in the face. Dan, honestly he can go burn in hell, he did horrible things to you and that shouldn't be done to a person."

       "Phil, there's a lot to not love about me."

         "Dan, no, there isn't. The way you smile and your eyes sparkle? The way you scrunch up your nose when you are thinking? Dan there is so much about you to love." He sighs, taking a bite of his sandwich.

         "How come I see none of that in myself?" I ask.

         "Truly I don't know. You still have my number, right?" Phil questions, mouth full of a sandwich.

             "Robert made me delete it, here just put it in." I unlock my phone and hold it out to him.

      It takes him a second but he puts his number in, and passes me my phone.

     "Just text me whenever you need me, and I'll answer as soon as I can."

    Why am I trusting him so much? He cheated on me. Yea it's been 10 years but still, he could just leave.

      "Why am I trusting you so much? You cheated on me." I sigh, putting my head in my hands so I can't see the hurt look on his face.

        "Dan I loved you with all I had."

          "Then why'd you cheat?"