Careful with Words

Start from the beginning

When their horses came to a stop, she lifted her head and squinted at them, her eyes narrowing on Hollem first, before giving Amia the same look. 

"Why do I feel like she's sizing us up for a fight that we might not win?" Amia said as he slowly leaned back, hiding himself partially behind Hollem's larger form. 

The old woman eventually turned toward the door and hobbled inside. Hollem looked at Amia, frowning before hopping down from the bench seat. Before Amia started to follow him, but Hollem turned and reached up, grasping his waist to lift him down. 

"I'm not a fragile woman, Hollem." Amia chided, a light scowl on his face.

Instead of replying, Hollem just smiled and ruffled his hair. Amia shoved him, but it barely made Hollem sidestep before he chuckled and climbed the few stairs leading up to the door. Right as he lifted his hand to knock, Abel was pulling the door open, a wide smile on his face. 

"Hey guys, been a while. Come on in." He said as he took a step back and to the side, gesturing for them to come inside. 

Hollem followed Amia. The first thing he noticed was that it was a pretty clean home, which was surprising considering two men lived there. Maybe the old woman is the house keeper? He thought as he saw her glaring at him standing near where the entrance to the kitchen must have been. 

"Is something amiss, ma'am?" He asked, curious as to why she seemed to dislike them already. 

The woman pursed his lips and then licked them, lifting her gaze only slightly, as if she were deep in thought. When she seemed to have decided what she would say, she lifted a... shovel? and pointed the end at him. 

Isn't that heavy for an old lady? 

"I can't decide which of you I should hit with this." She said, as if it was the most normal thing to say in such a situation. 

Hollem frowned, looking sideways at Amia before stepping in front of him slightly. 

"I can assure you that we mean you no harm, ma'am." He said awkwardly, lifting his hands a little. 

The magistrate, Kirin, walked in at that moment, shaking his head as he reached over and took the shovel from the old woman. "I would say don't pay her any mind, but you definitely should. She'll find another weapon soon enough, though I'm not sure which of you she'll decide to target with it yet." 

Hollem couldn't believe that the woman was that aggressive, but she proved him wrong when she stuck her foot out right as Kirin walked by, heading toward the kitchen. He tripped and stumbled, but was seemingly used to such a trick because he didn't fall and, instead, regained his balance with a frustrated sigh. 

"Will you just go back to your home, madam? I can assure you that I am not defiling your prodigy when he doesn't wish me to." Kirin nearly yelled.

Hollem felt his face heat slightly at the same time the old woman snagged the shovel back and smacked Kirin's right ankle, making him curse and hop a few steps before disappearing into the kitchen. 

"I... have no interest in your prodigy?" Hollem stated hesitantly as he started side-stepping toward the kitchen, making sure that Amia was right behind him the entire time. 

The woman just rolled her eyes and stomped away, disappearing up the stairs faster than someone her age should have been able to. 

"Why is she so mean?" Hollem asked as he walked into the kitchen. 

Abel grinned and shrugged, but Kirin scowled. 

"She'll beat you senseless if she doesn't approve of you." He said, making Hollem frown.