Caring | Karren Von Rosewald

Start from the beginning

Your prayers were ignored. 

Matsumae shook her head, causing you to sigh out of defeat. "She won't eat the meat I bring home either. Do you think she's picky? Does she not eat suicide victims anymore?" 

"I don't think it's the actual food that's the problem, (Y/N) and you should too." The girl half-scolded. She was right, you knew it wasn't about pickiness, but you still wished it was. You'd kill anyone if it meant she'd eat them. Hell, you'd kill that investigator Arima if that's what she wanted to eat!

"It's just not healthy for her to push herself so much during training and then skip meals." You whined. "Is there anything I can do? 

Matsumae shook her head again. "Unless you can find something that could bring Master Shuu out of his depression, I don't think there's much that can be done." 

Your eyes fell to the ground as your heart sank to your stomach. Not much that can be done... But there's always something that can be done, no..? There always was, this situation shouldn't be so different from all the dilemmas you dealt with in the past. You just need to figure out what that something was. 

Matsumae placed a hand on your shoulder, flashing you an encouraging smile. "You'll both get out of this. I'm sure if you do the right things, Karren will realize that risking her health not only hurts her, but you and I too." 

You attempted to reciprocate the girl's smile, pulling her in for a much needed hug. "Thanks, Matsu. Thank you for helping us." 

••••

Karren stopped in her tracks, looking out the window and frowning at the sight. She squinted her eyes, mouth pressed into a line as she watched you pull Matsumae in for a hug. The two of you had gotten quite... close. It bothered her to no end. Why did you always swing by to chat up Matsumae and leave without even greeting her? Here she was, taking care of her cousin as best she could and training her hardest to ensure you'd be safe too and you repay her by getting a bit too friendly with Matsumae?

Even if she felt jealous, she couldn't completely blame you. Karren knew she neglected you a bit since Shuu got sick, but it was necessary, no? She thought you'd still be happy as long as she came back home every night, but apparently that wasn't enough for you. 

Besides, Matsumae is a good person, no? You deserve her. She's kind, beautiful, loyal, determined, patient... All things Karren was not. She's always wondered how you could deal with someone as possessive and jealous as her. Apparently, the answer was that you couldn't. 

Glancing back down to the cup of coffee in her hands, the girl scolded herself for making Shuu wait, but she was so afraid that if her gaze left the two of you, something much worse would happen. 

No, you wouldn't do that. You may be angry with her, but Karren knew you wouldn't cheat on anyone. You were loyal. ...Were you?

Swallowing her paranoia, Karren hesitantly turned her back on the window and made her way to Shuu's room, heart still aching from the sight she saw. If you wanted to break things off, you'd do it, and that's what scared her the most. 

••••

The door of your apartment opening and closing stopped you from answering the question Matsumae had just asked you on the phone and you watched in wonder as Karren walked past the living room, stopping at the doorway once she noticed that's where you were seated. 

"Hey, Karren got off early?" You asked the girl on the phone, giving your girlfriend a wave of your hand, which she frowned at. It was worse than what she previously thought, if you were ignoring her to  talk with Matsumae.