chapter 1

"from district 1 we have kim taehyung and kwon soonyoung.

district 2, min yoongi and lee jihoon.

district 3, kim seokjin and kim mingyu.

district 4, kim namjoon and choi seungcheol.

district 5, lee seokmin and boo seungkwan.

district 6, jung hoseok and xu minghao.

district 7, park jimin and wen junhui.

district 8, jeon jungkook and lee chan.

district 9, yoon jeonghan and hong jisoo.

and finally district 10, jeon wonwoo and chwe hansol.

congratulations to all-"

the tv was turned off.

"district 4, choi seungcheol? huh, i think i met him once..." jisoo says, entering the living room after exploring district 9's floor in the training center, a place where all tributes will live and train until the games, each district with their own floor and living space.

"do you know anything about him? other than how handsome he is." jeonghan said, on the couch, rewinding the tv back to district 4's introduction.

"really jeonghan? he looks like he could kill you in a heartbeat. and he probably will if you don't stay away from him." jisoo warns, sitting next to jeonghan on the couch.

"no, he looks like someone who i want to be allies with. or maybe more..." jeonghan winks.

"WHAT?!" jisoo faces him.

"i'm kidding. calm down." he laughs, getting up to get a snack from the kitchen.

"remember to eat something healthy. we need to get in shape, jeonghan." jisoo says.

"okay, jisoo." jeonghan says, mouthed stuffed with a cupcake.

"this is cool and all, but where are the bedrooms?" yoongi says to the servant as she shows yoongi and jihoon around district 2's floor.

she leads them to their living space and brings them to a hallway with 2 doors.

yoongi opens the first one and instantly plops on the bed and closes his eyes.

"are you not at all scared. scared of these people making us do this? scared of the games? scared of dying..." jihoon asks standing next to yoongi's bed.

"right now, i'm just really tired. you should get some sleep too. we are going down to the training rooms at 4 o'clock apparently." yoongi mumbles sleepily, despite it being 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

jihoon just nods and walks out, quietly closing yoongi's door behind him and walks around for a few minutes.

he explores the place where they are now living. probably the last place they will ever live in. he is really starting to miss home and all his family.

"do you by chance, have a guitar here?" jihoon asks nervously to a servant in the dining room.

he nods and motions jihoon to stay right where he is.

jihoon waits patiently as the servant leaves, to return only 30 seconds later with a guitar in his hand.

"thank you so much!" jihoon says, smiling, taking the guitar.

the servant just nods then walks away.

jihoon feels sorry for him, how he probably didn't choose to end up here, but does his job anyway, for if he didn't...

he shakes this thought away. he needs to stay positive.

somehow.

"oh my god. do you hear that?" soonyoung says to taehyung, who was sitting next to him at the dining table both eating lunch.

"what? the music?" taehyung questions.

"yes... that music..." soonyoung stands up on his chair then stands on the table.

"what. are. you. doing???" taehyung looks up at him, moving his plate so soonyoung won't step on it.

"i'm trying to hear it better." he responds.

"good idea!" taehyung says, then gets on the table with soonyoung.

both boys are standing on the table looking at the ceiling, trying to listen to the music coming from upstairs.

"what a beautiful voice..." taehyung says in wonder.

suddenly soonyoung hops off the table and leaves towards the elevator.

"wait! where are you going?" taehyung shouts, before the elevator door closes.

"i'm going upstairs. i need to meet—"
the elevator door closes.

"HELLO. MY NAME'S SOONYOUNG FROM DISTRICT ONE, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME HOSHI." soonyoung yelled over jihoon's song.

the high note jihoon was just singing turned into a scream.

he was sitting at the window sill in his bedroom with the guitar on his lap.

"okay first of all, HOW DID YOU GET HERE? and secondly, what exactly are you doing here?" jihoon asks to soonyoung who was standing in front of him looking really happy for some reason.

"easy! i just pressed the "2" button on the elevator and followed the sound of your amazing voice!" soonyoung says excitedly.

"okay..." jihoon says a little creeped out. "but that doesn't explain why you are here."

"well, i'm here because i just wanted to—"

soonyoung was interrupted by a loud beeping coming from the ceiling.

"attention everyone. all tributes are to report down to the training rooms in one hour. i repeat, all tributes to the training rooms in one hour. thank you."

there is a few seconds of silence between them after the announcement.

"hey,maybe we could work together, you know. help each other out, atleast for the training... you got any useful skills?" soonyoung breaks the silence.

"i might have some." jihoon says narrowing his eyes suspiciously.

soonyoung can tell that jihoon probably doesn't trust him. which totally makes sense, considering the situation they were all in.

"well i should get going now. see you at training!" soonyoung says, eyes disappearing into his smile.

jihoon follows him to the elevator, still carrying the guitar.

soonyoung gets in and just before the door closes, he adds, "i love your voice, by the way. it's beautiful." he says this with meaning.

before jihoon could think of what to say, the elevator door has closed and soonyoung is gone.