' 47 '

~*Vik*~

"Dad!" I look up from my paperwork to see Seto standing in the doorway, disheveled and breathing rapidly as if he ran here from the gardens.

"Yes, Seto?" I ask, taking off my glasses and setting them down on the desk in front of me.

"Why didn't you tell me you were testing the Minter boy today?"

That's what you're worked up about? "Simple. You would've found a way to stop the testing if I told you."

"Well, yes, but-"

I hold a hand up to make him stop speaking. "Seto, I really don't want to do this, but as king it's my duty to do what's right."

"What if we found some use of the kid?" Seto speaks up quickly, blatantly ignoring the fact that I wanted him to stop speaking. Children.

I should listen to his pleads; he is my son. "Go on."

"I've heard rumours that you sent a spy to work with him. Is that true?"

"You really shouldn't be listening to rumours, Seto."

"Hear me out. We could train the boy to be a last-resort spy like Gaualk or Parah! He already has the intelligence and physical capabilities to do so."

"If I decide to train him as a last-resort, who would he protect? By the time his training is complete, your father and ai will be too old for him to protect, you have Zandra to protect you, and the Island Royalty are already being looked after." I cross my arms over my chest as Seto runs a hand through his hair in thought. "Officer Gaualk was given the task of protecting the Island Royals the day his training began; that was he was trained for. If you want this boy to be a last-resort, we need to specifically train him to protect a certain person or group."

Seto lets out a long sigh before reaching into his back pocket and setting a small velvet box onto my desk. "I've been planning to ask Zandra to be my wife. If she accepts, she will be stripped of her title as a guard and become a princess; we'll need someone to protect us then. Fvendal Aceti-Minter can be trained to protect me, Zandra, and any future children we might have."

"So, what you're telling me is that you are balancing the life of this boy, his pregnant mother, and yourself on your girlfriend accepting your marriage proposal?"

"That's exactly what I'm doing."

I close my eyes and sigh. You really love these risks, don't you, Seto? You're just like Lachlan. "Fine. You have one week from today to propose to Lady Zandra of the guard, Seto. You may not tell her anything of this, for it may influence her choice. If she rejects your proposal, or if you don't propose within the week deadline, I will follow through with the sentencing." I stand up and walk around the desk to where I am standing in front my son, and hold out my hand. "Do we have a deal?"

Seto's blue eyes shine with determination as he clasps my hand with his. "Yes. Thank you for giving me a chance, Dad."

"I truly don't want you, or anyone else, to die, Seto. I hope you know this."

"I do."

~*Ayris*~

The sun was just starting to peak over the horizon as I make my way back to my living quarters. My steps felt as light as air as I quietly opened the door to my bedroom and close it behind me. Letting out a sigh of relief, I pull my hair out of its upward constraints, allowing a cascade of blonde curls to fall down my back and shoulders. It felt good to be finally able to let my hair down. To be honest, I don't know how Sei'eah can keep her hair up for so long and not be tempted to just rip out the ties and let her gorgeous curls fly in the ocean breeze.

The ocean. A small smile grows on my face as I remember Kai's face as he looked out at the ocean. He looked so curious and amazed; adding an almost childlike quality to that mystery personality of his. One thing is for certain about him: he's nothing like the majority of Mainlanders I've met over the years.

"Someone looks like they had fun," Sei'eah's voice echoes from somewhere behind me, making me jump and turn around to see my best friend standing with a grin on her face. "Who was that Minecraftian boy you were talking do, Ayris, and where can I get one for myself?"

"You're about to marry a tirant, Sei'eah. You need to be careful about what you joke about," I hiss, rushing over to give the former queen a tight embrace. "Does Wojcik know he's here?" I ask softly, not wishing to let go of my best friend. We might never be able to hug again.

"No. He's absolutely clueless." Sei'eah's eyes shine brightly with a mischievous light. "The Minecraftian Kings informed me that some people would be coming to protect you, but he never mentioned anything about a cute guy being part of the group! What is he like? Did you kiss?" I feel heat rise him my cheeks and I push the overly-curious girl away from me.

"Sei'eah, I just met him! I would never kiss a man I just met!" I scoff at the thought of it. "And besides, he's here to protect me. He's not looking for a romantic relationship."

"Did you see the way he was looking at you earlier today?" Sei'eah questions with a raised eyebrow.

"You mean like a normal person?"

Sei'eah laughs at me. "Ayris, you're just as oblivious to a man's advancements as always. Just you wait. Pretty soon the two of you will be married, and oh my... I can see the babies now! Two little girls that look like you, maybe with his dark hair instead or your light, and a boy that-" My face heats up even more, and I cover her mouth with my hand to shut her up.

"Shut up; I don't like him like that!" I state with an annoyed huff, rolling my eyes at how childish she is acting.

"What every you say, girly," Sei'eah sings, her mischievous smirk growing. "I would love to stay and chat about your future lover, but I need to get back to Wojcik. He's probably growing more impatient by the millisecond with how long I've been away."

"You better get over there quick, then. Wouldn't want your future husband to consider divorce before your wedding day."

"That would be a dream come true, Ayris."
___________________
Gotta love banter.