Chapter 2: The Choice

Start from the beginning

            I quickly slipped over toward the kitchen island where Gran began filling bowls of soup and laying them out for me to put on the table. Carefully, I slipped my hands on either side of the first bowl and sighed, feeling the warm ceramic thaw out my frosty fingertips.

            “So dear, I know you’ve had a long day but if you want you can take a hike through the trail before sundown?”

            I couldn’t help but smile as I placed the first bowl on the table; my Gran knew me well. In fact, I’m surprised I hadn’t thought of the idea myself because a good, long walk was exactly what I needed to get over the stress of seeing the town again.

            “I think I will,” I smiled warmly as I turned to grab another bowl. This is why I loved my grandparents so dearly – they understood me and understood that my illness should not and does not define me.

* * *

            I placed a gentle kiss on my Granddad’s cheek as I grabbed my backpack from the living room floor. Grinning at me, he gave me a small nod before turning back toward the fire he’d been stoking.

            “Don’t get back too late, okay?” He spoke up as I turned away and began trudging toward the back door.

            “I won’t!” I called, slipping my jean-jacket covered arms through the loops of my backpack.

            With one final uplifting glance at my Gran, I slipped through the door and started on my way through the field and into the cover of the forest.

* * *

            I let my eyelids slip closed as I ran my fingertips across the dewy bush beside me. It was refreshing to feel the water droplets brushing up against my warm skin.

            I loved the outdoors, probably more than any normal person should because if I could… I’d spend every waking hour under the forest’s cover.

Taking a deep, greedy breath, I allowed my eyelids to slip open once again as I gazed out at the greenery before me.

            However, something odd caught my attention the moment I opened my eyes. At first it was slight and I almost missed it. Yet, when it came again, I knew my ears couldn’t have possibly deceived me.

            Someone was crying.

            I perked up instantly and felt my spine go rigid as I heard another soft cry echo throughout the quiet forest. I realized then that the sound was coming from a boy or more so, a young man.

            I couldn’t exactly tell you why but my mind suddenly shut down completely as I began walking dreamily through the thick underbrush before me. With awakened eyes and sweaty palms, I easily slipped past the green barriers and off the trail until I came to a halt at the edge of a large clearing.