Negatives | Abara Hanbee

Start from the beginning

Hanbee stopped right in front of you, hoping he'd see anything that would confirm you were still alive, that he still had a chance at redemption, that he still had a chance with you.

Slowly, he brought two of his fingers to your tied up wrists and he desperately searched for a pulse, which was apparently missing. Either that or it was incredibly weak.

"...bee.." He glanced down at your face, which was directed towards the floor. He could see your chest heaving up and down slightly faster. Was that just an illusion?

"Are they..." Mizurou started, keeping his distance from the two of you. "Are they dead..?"

Hanbee simply stayed silent, waiting for you to speak. If you spoke, that meant you still had a chance, no?

"...anbee..." You muttered, nearly hyperventilating.

That one, Hanbee definitely heard. You were alive. You were alive and you remembered him..!

Letting out a cry of relief, the tall man fell to his knees in front of you, his forehead falling down on your lap while he cried.

"I need medical help!" Mizurou yelled into his transmitter after seeing Hanbee's reaction. "We've got a survivor here, they're weak but they're conscious!"

Hanbee simply ignored the fact that he wasn't alone in here with you and wrapped his arms gently around your waist as he sobbed while Tamaki tried to pry him off of you so the medics could take a look at you when they arrived.

••••

Your eye remained on the television set in front of you as you watched what must be the cringiest soap opera ever.

You really wished you had something better to do, but you didn't. The television was the only escape you had from noticing how frail, skinny and screwed up you now were thanks to those sadistic ghouls.

You didn't get a lot of visit either. Other than Sasaki, Akira, Suzuya and a few relatives, you were all alone in this bland hospital room all day long. And even if the three investigators passed by, it was only for information on what happened with the ghouls, if you saw any of their faces, if you knew any names or places they might be hiding... Etc...

"Hi, (Y/N)!" Juuzou greeted as he entered the room. "How're you holding up?"

"I still can't eat." You gloomily said as you kept your focus on the TV show. "They can't figure out what's wrong with me."

"Ah, I'm sure you'll find your hunger again soon! It's already been a month since they started the treatment!" He optimistically said.

"What are you here for?" You asked, trying to avoid the subject of refeeding.

"Ah, just the usual, with some new questions this time!" He answered before settling down on a couch near your bed. "So, they were depriving you of food, right?"

"Yeah..." You still kept your gaze on the television even though you were more focused on Suzuya now.

"But what were they feeding you during that time? They couldn't have kept you alive for four months with no food at all!"

Oh gosh, here it was. You had been praying they'd never ask that forbidden question, the thing that will haunt you forever. The thing that might explain why you can't even eat human food anymore.

"There was a doctor." You said, hoping he wouldn't push any further even though you knew he would.

"What did they do?"

You closed your eyes and took a deep breath to avoid crying right there and then. "He... I don't know, he injected something into me and... and after that they..."