"Oh- right. I forgot. Near Undertow, right?" she asked. Eli nodded.

"Are you sure you're okay to keep coming on missions?" he asked, and Alana's shoulders dropped. "If you need to take a break, it's fine. You've been going up against dark energy nonstop-"

"I can't just take a break because I don't wanna deal with ghouls. Nobody wants to deal with ghouls," Alana said, pressing down her irritation. Eli asked her that question on a daily basis now. She knew he meant well, but she didn't want another reminder that she couldn't keep up with the onslaught of darkness forever.

"Sure, but nobody else gets affected by dark energy like you do," Trixie argued.

"I affect dark energy, too," Alana reminded. "Without Doc and Mage, I'm the only way we can cure ghouls."

With every victory the gang had, they were left with dozens of ghouls they couldn't handle. Alana would do her best to heal as many as she could, but she had to conserve her energy- she never knew when the next fight would be.

"Don't worry," Alana assured as the gang rode on. People gave them wary glances whenever they passed through a town, as if hoping the gang wouldn't stop close to them, which would mean another fight against Blakk's forces. "I get plenty of power naps-"

"A skill you picked up from me, no doubt!"

"Absolutely, Pronto- and I may not be at a hundred percent, but I'm still in fighting condition."

~~~~~~~~

Alana may have still had energy and life to spare, the cavern did not.

The remote area was near Undertow. Teal sea replaced solid ground, and citizens lived mainly on a large central island at the heart of the cavern, with small ones scattered around it. It was usually bright and lively, but as soon as the Shane Gang's Mechas took to the water, the slingers knew something was wrong.

The water resembled more of a gray than teal. The pale purple cavern ceiling was also desaturated, and any sand banks the gang passed had not lush, vivid flora, but withered grass and dead flowers. Alana shivered, even though the cavern was known for being warm.

"The cavern is dying," she said quietly. Ash chirped sadly from her shoulder, looking around at the dull surroundings. She rubbed at her arms, trying to drive away the chill even though she knew she couldn't. "I can barely even feel the Aquabeeks that should be in the sea. There's not a lot of light energy left in the cavern. It's a good thing we got the message when we did- I'm not sure how much longer it'll will last."

"If the cavern is this far gone, we'll be in for a tough fight," Eli said, tensing as the central island came into view. "I'm positive the call came from-"

"Incoming!" Alana suddenly yelled, swerving Midnight to the side, the Mecha's water skis kicking up saltwater. A ghoul sped by the gang, landing in the water behind them with a small explosion.

"The central island," Eli finished, loading his blaster as the bank of the island came into view. It was covered in golden brown sand, and Alana could briefly see slightly off-colored spots moving around, firing ghouls. Blakk's workers had gotten a camouflage upgrade.

Ghouls began to fly left and right. Alana wove Midnight through the assault, wincing at the wave of dark energy, but not hesitating to press forward.

"Getting a little choppy out here!" Kord called as he narrowed avoided a Harmashelt.

"It'll get worse once we're on the beach," Eli replied grimly. "Blakk's forces are dug in deep. Alana, any reads on their firepower?"

"Lots?" Alana replied helplessly, shrugging. "This cavern is so low on energy, trying to hone in on the beach is like having the Enigmo's double vision. I'm willing to bet there's a gattler."