Chapter 1: A Mistake Makes Us

Start from the beginning

Then there were my wings I inherited from both of them. I didn't quite consider these to be a quirk, but rather a simple mutation. As if I wasn't flashy enough with two-toned hair, my wings were different colors too. Although they didn't seem to get the memo, and their colors are switched backwards from the color of my hair. My right wing was white while my left wing was black. These, I learned to hide around age 5 inside a temporary tattoo across my shoulder blades. Every now and then I needed to let them out of the tattoo for a stretch or else they'd cause my back severe spinal damage.

They'd appear when I wanted them to and hide when I didn't, which was convenient for me since I didn't enjoy walking around with the extra bulk. But...when I was 7, that's when my life began to go downhill. My father was so lovestruck that he practically became my mother's slave, practically bowing to her everyday as a goddess of reformation. When she turned, she forced him to create weapons and armies that could harness his angelic powers and use them for destruction.

Unable to think for himself, he wound up being caught and arrested, by the very person he practically worshipped. My mother turned him over to the police without hesitation when he failed to live up to her expectations. As if his brain was fried, he babbled to the police and press mindlessly for a month before he was able to strew a single sentence together.

When asked about the event that night he couldn't even recall it. It seemed from then on that my mother had gotten off cleanly after lying to interrogators that my father was abusive and one day just went off the handle. That's when she tried to turned to me into her prodigy.

In the end, I rebelled by refusing to use my quirks at all, and since that day I've believed that I could live as a productive member of this society without ever needing to use a single one of my quirks. And that's just how it's been since then.

It turns out that my mother got herself into some serious trouble with the number one hero All-Might when I was 11 and fled, leaving me abandoned with only my nanny Uremi to care for me. My father, still dumbfounded, remained in jail and would stay there until I was at least 13 years of age and willing to sign proper paperwork to release him.

Now, five years later, I've been forced by the Japanese government to attend UA High School, the most prestigious highschool in the nation for heroes in training. I guess it's because they don't want me to go down the same villainous path as my parents. They expected me to participate in the entrance exam and rank enough points to be placed in the Hero Course, but I refused to move a muscle the entire time.

I wound up with 0 points, which was fine by me, but was still forced into the school thanks to several government recommendations. I thought I was lucky that there was only one person at the time who knew who my parents were. She was just a regular student in my class. At least, that's what I first thought, anyway.

The first month she acted like my best friend, telling me all about how her father owned one of the top hero agencies and how she was guaranteed to become a pro when she grew up. I made the dumb mistake of telling her about my parents and two of my quirks. Turned out her quirk was Thoughtography, or, in laymen's terms, the ability to burn images from one's mind and project them on a surface. All she had to do was get me to think of a traumatic memory by using that manipulative silver tongue of hers, and then she could project it in front of everyone.

Emiko Haruhi became my rival shortly after, blackmailing me that she would do such a thing if I didn't do everything she said. It wasn't too long before I realized I wasn't the only one she was doing this to. She seemed to have a majority of the school under her command. That's how I wound up standing in the cafeteria with cold noodles pouring down my uniform.

"Hiromi, fetch me a bowl of cold soba. I'm still starving over here!" she giggles, sticking out her hand to let another student she'd been blackmailing paint her nails. I groaned in anger, knowing that that meant I'd have to give up my own lunch just to appease her. But if it meant keeping my secret safe for just another day, then it was worth it.