The keys to the Kingdom

Start from the beginning

Cersei Lannister liked to say that only a weak queen could stand the humiliation of having her husband's mistress and bastard under her own roof. Only to her ladies-in-waiting, of course. They were only too happy to repeat the line to anyone willing to listen.

The Tyrells were known to commiserate and to compare her to Queen Naerys. Elia felt vaguely offended on behalf of Rhaegar. At least, he was not trying to kill her by getting her pregnant.

Elia decided to get to the point,"Jon Arryn came to me recently. Rhaegar wants to get back Blackfyre."

"And Dark Sister."

"What?". Both swords were lost to the Targaryens. Blackfyre across the Narrow Sea and Dark Sister gods knew where.

"How did you learn that?" Elia asked.

"The Lord Commander of the Night's Watch told my brother that the King wished to retrieve Dark Sister. Apparently, its last owner was Brynden Rivers. He took it with him when he was sent to the Wall. Lord Baratheon was not pleased to discover that his maester was a Targaryen."

"A Targaryen in the Night's Watch?" It startled Elia. "Aemon Targaryen is still alive? But he must be one hundred years old!"

Lyanna Bolton acquiesced "He is, and as we speak, he is travelling to King's Landing with the sword."

The Hand of the King had only discussed Blackfyre with her. But it made sense, Rhaegar had named his children after the Conqueror and his sisters. He probably had convinced himself he needed their swords to fulfill his dreams of bringing the dragons back.

"Who has Blackfyre?" Lyanna Bolton inquired. "I don't remember ser Barristan recovering it after slaying Maelys the Monstrous."

"Lord Arryn is not sure, he told me that Rhaegar has tasked Varys to find out. Apparently, there are still Blackfyre pretenders in Essos but we don't know much about them."

" And how does the King intend to reclaim the sword? The Blackfyres won't give it back without a fight."

It was the issue, what was Rhaegar willing to do to obtain the sword?
"They might if Rhaegar offers them something they want. He could grant them pardons."

"For a sword?" Lyanna Bolton scoffed. "Blackfyre is the symbol of their cause. It's not enough."

Elia agreed. She had reviewed what Rhaegar could grant them with Jon Arryn. Money was insufficient, land would be difficult, a place on the small council stupid.

"We are afraid that the King will recognize their claim."

Lyanna Stark frowned,"It's too dangerous. They have no right to the Seven Kingdoms. If Rhaegar acknowledge their claim, how long before they try to seize the throne? They will find people to support their cause. Aerys was not loved and there are lords who are not satisfied with Rhaegar."

The lady had become astute with age, she was more educated in intrigues than her younger self.
Elia took a breath, "The Blackfyres might accept a royal match in exchange of the sword. It's how Dorne was brought into the Seven Kingdoms."

"The King would not do that. It would give legitimacy to their claim!" Lyanna Stark exclaimed but her expression was unsure.

Elia had tried to broach the subject of Aegon's marriage several times but Rhaegar didn't seem to care. The heir to the Iron Throne had to marry. And his marriage was a unique opportunity to strengthen ties with their vassals . The Tyrells had her preference. They had been loyal to the Targaryen during the Unrest, it was wise to reward them. However, if Aegon was not betrothed because Rhaegar wanted to marry him to a Blackfyre girl, it was cause for alarm.