Tasting Rainbows

"Let's go to LA," you say one Saturday night.

"I'm sorry, what?" Bucky replies quizzically. He momentarily looks away from the tv screen to see your eyes pinning him down in the most serious look.

You get up, digging under the mounds of blankets the two of you have buried yourself under for the remote. You pause the movie, put the remote down on the coffee table and in all seriousness, sit on Bucky's lap with your hands twisting around his neck and up into his soft hair.

"I'm serious Buck. Let's go to LA. Let's spoil ourselves! There's nothing stopping us. We could go tomorrow!"

"What would we do? What about hotels? What about the team?" he asks. Bucky is intrigued, he really is. He hadn't done something like this since...well, since never. The world had changed a lot since the 1940s.

"It doesn't have to be a long trip, Buck. We could talk to Steve, tell him you've been doing missions for quite a while now, which you have been. When was the last time you had a day off? We could go for maybe two nights, I'm sure Earth's mightiest heroes can survive two nights without the Winter Soldier" you add the last part cheekily.

This is why Bucky loves you. You're not predictable. Never were, never will be. All the training Hydra gave him would never prepare him for you. He eventually learnt to love that too. He looks at you, the kind of look that sees right through to your soul, the very essence of who you are, looking for any doubt that you might have about going on a holiday of all things with him. All he saw in response was the feisty, determined, love in your eyes. No shred of doubt.

Bucky cups your face and the two of you rest your foreheads against each other, reveling in the the other's presence.

"...ok. Let's go to LA" he whispers.

"HOME SWEET HOME!" you yell, dropping your bag and diving onto the beautiful, plush king-sized bed. You only figured out on the plane that being spoilt by Bucky meant spending two nights at the Ritz Carlton penthouse suite in the heart of LA. You'd nearly screamed out loud in the plane when he told you.

"Bucky, this is...amazing, I can't believe WE'RE DOING THIS!!!". He just smiles and brings in both of your bags, dropping on the bed next to you and pulling you in for a tight hug.

"So what are we doing?" Bucky asks.

"Well, I reckon we should take a nap because I don't know about you super-soldier, but plane trips always make me sleeeeeeepy"

"Babe, it's just 2pm. There's no way you'll be able to sleep"

"Hmmm...watch me" you say drowsily, already dropping off.

One of the perks of having an entire wall made of glass on the 10th floor of the Ritz Carlton is the amazing view you get over the city. Bucky wakes you up in time to watch the LA sunset. You wish you could freeze this moment, have it painted on the back of your eyelids, that feeling of having the man you love enjoying himself, that feeling of serenity as LA wound itself down again. You and Bucky stay on the edge of the bed staring out to the multiple skyscrapers and towers well after the sun has gone down and the twinkling lights of the city emerge, bright enough to match the stars.

"So what now?" you ask, stretching and hopping off the bed.

"I don't know, you're the one who said this trip was going to be a surprise for me. Wait, Y/N, do you not have a plan?" he asks the last part suspiciously.

"Well...I have a rough idea of what we can do" you say sheepishly.

"And what does this rough idea entail, doll?"