Chapter Two

***one week later***

"What are you doing with my box?" Debbie asked.

"I don't know what are you're talking about. That's my box." Kevin replied.

"Guys quit fighting and just open the box and see who's stuff inside." Mom said. "I'm busy looking at stuff that I need so I can't deal with this right now."

The day was warm. It was about 12 in the afternoon and everyone was rushing to make sure that everything was to the point. I sat in my room looking at my box. I packed everything that I needed like clothes, books, and shoes. I looked around my room and realised that I've had so many memories in this house. This was the first house that I grew up in. I've gone through a lot after dad left. I'm just sad that he wasn't there for it all. I opened a loose paper on the floor and started reading.

Dear son,
There is a lot of stuff that I need to tell you, stuff I've never had the time to put together. First off I want to apologize for any kind of pain I caused you or your mother. I understand that you might not forgive me and that's ok. I know I've messed up by leaving my son fatherless. It's important for a son to have a father figure to look up to. I hope your brother Kevin will be there for you where I wasn't. There are a few things that I need to talk to you about. I can't tell your siblings because I know they won't want to hear me right now. There was something that your mother and I didn't tell you. You and your siblings have--.

The letter has been torn off from that point. I looked at it one more time and tried to decipher what was written but I just couldn't do it. I attemted to question my mom but she was too busy for me and said that she would talk after we moved to the other house.

Around 4 in the afternoon, we arrived at the new house. The house had an eerie feeling to it. It had two floors and a gigantic gate.

"What kind of ghost house did you lead us into this time?" Kevin jokily asked. Mom gulped and didn't answer. She got the keys out of her bag and unlocked the gate. We slowly entered the gate and made our way to the front door. Mom opened it up and froze.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"There already here. That's impossible!!! They can't be here already!!" Mom said shakily.

"Who?" We asked in unison.

"Nothing, nobody. Just forget all of it and help me unpack the car." She answered.

My siblings ignored what just happened and started unpacking the car. Whatever just happened stayed with me and had me curious. It was like she saw someone else in the house, or maybe even more than one person. She did say "They" can't be here already. It left me puzzled for a few minutes and I just stood there, frozen like she was.

"Hey, small guy. Can you give me a hand with these boxes please?" Kevin asked as he derailed my train of thought.

"Yeah, yeah sure I'll be right there." I said. After an hour and a half later, we all sat around the living room. I thought that now would be the perfect time to bring up the letter I read earlier.

"Mom, may I please ask you a question?" I asked.

"What is it Mikey?" She answered feeling more relaxed.

"So I read this letter earlier today and I have a few questions." I showed her the piece of crumpled paper that was in my pocket. She read it and looked at me with a pale facial expression.

"What was your question?" She asked shakily.

"What happened to the other piece of the letter?" I asked.

"I have the other piece of the letter son. But I can't give it to you just yet. I'm not sure if you are ready for what comes after." She said. I've have never seen an expression more ghostly on anyone in my life. My mother looked genuinely scared and that alone scared me too. I took the paper away from her hoping that it would ease the painful memories a bit, but the same expression stayed on her face even longer. The electricity had been off because we needed to activate it from the company. We were all huddled near a few candles.

"Well, I think I'm going to bed now. Goodnight everybody." Kevin stated.

"Yeah I think I'm gonna follow him as well, it's been a long day for all of us." Debbie followed. I sat there frozen for a bit and announced my departure as well. Mother was asleep. The trip had taken a toll on her and she definitely needed rest. She looked so peaceful curled up in her little blanket. I smiled and walked away. Up the stairs and into my room I went. I shut the door behind me, hoping it would keep all the monsters out. Suddenly a terrible smell filled the room. It smelled like a dead dog or cat had been sitting in the room for weeks.

"You can't replace us." A voice whispered.

"Who's there?" I frantically asked. No answer. I felt a chill down my spine, and it did not feel good at all. I ran to my bed and covered myself head to toe. I couldn't stop thinking about how the letter could be related to what just happened. It seemed that my father wanted to tell me something important and my mother felt I wasn't ready for it. I looked around my room and realized that I was surrounded by darkness. It was so dark, I could feel the darkness around me. I felt terrified. The feeling of helplessness came over me and I hated it. I managed to stick my entire body under that blanket and I closed my eyes, took a few breaths, and tried to sleep.

"Why has she done this to us." The voice whispered again. "Look at what she did to us." It continued. I slowly pulled the blankets from over my eyes and what I saw will never leave my soul ever again.