Greater Good and Lesser Evil

Depuis le début

At vespertide, Daphne summoned Acacia to her pavilion but Acacia hated that she was being summoned alone. The last time this happened was at the principal's office and the last time Daphne summoned her, it was the worst public incident in millennia (but the bar fight will be remembered later).

Daphne breathed in and closed her eyes in preparation as if she were summoning a great power for another one of her yogic mantra sessions.

"Sit down and gain comfort, Granddaughter. The only way to prepare for battle is to become centered." Chimes dangling from the tent kicked on with the wind.

"You mean it's not time for my learning kickflips and sparring? No blocking either?"

"You have already shown me much more. No, instead we will be doing warrior poses. By the way, have you been taking your medicine?"

I haven't felt so embarrassed and offended in a long time but since we were alone, I let it pass.

"Honestly, they were left behind before I even got to your empire."

"Good, you won't be needing those berries. I want you to toss them out of your life."

Up till then, I haven't really noticed I missed a dose. Then again, I had other worries to fill but it was the first time I felt full, complete, and confident. Daphne brought it upon herself to go vision seeking so she instructed me to sit cross-legged and listen to the wind spirits and ignore the metallic dirges around us (the chimes and weapon-making).

She spoke in an ancient tongue a little like Latin, Greek, and Persian. We practiced focus, calm, and reserve until nightfall. (Day 1, Acct 1, of Phillipi)

Domain seemed to go increasingly desolate, or so Judge Danika confirmed, and impoverished. She wasn't sure if it were residual from past wars kept secret by her family and newcomers to town or blind pride that shielded some underlying problem as truth clawed itself from the dusty cobs of a ghost town, like an eye forcing itself open.

Marko met Acacia on the battle encampment. Jason and his army now spread far enough from their army, but not so far as clanks of welded metal couldn't resound and echoes of grunting warriors couldn't be misunderstood, or at least, mistaken.

Marko told Acacia of the "judges", code name for the Council of Elders, sudden decision to stay out of the battle and instead oversee the carnage. This made Acacia question whether it was their mark of peace or sick passivity. Obviously, she had no evidence the council and Danika acted as spies but she didn't like being watched and it was obvious they were chasing her the entire time. They had nothing to hide, now that she knew they weren't acting as Jason's allies, but no one ever trusted Daphne since her fake death. They went against Daphne's wishes by chasing Acacia throughout Acropolis and the Land of Jewels. As for her inheritance, they were unbiased since she never finished court or first semester at Domain Private. Sure, Daphne wasn't organized and it should have been clear at the beginning where she wanted the inheritance bequeathed. Not to mention she was indecisive, but the line of inheritance was never clear since the small town of Domain was so intertwined. Whether Acacia inherited the kingdom depended on the winning of the first battle, according to her grandmother's law, but could the judges decide who won? She did not want to win over body count because defense was first on her side.

Would victory by defeating make me a dictator? Is this what Daphne wanted? She gave up her crown but it still belonged to her. I know she doesn't have immortality and she is no goddess however much I respect her. Why then doesn't the crown go to my parents? Does the crown skip a generation or have they chosen the same path as Daphne, giving up their right to rule in peace?