If Andelko came out alive...then why didn't he end up in the heap?

A shadow or movement made Acacia turn.

Only Andelko.

"I have decided you can't go in alone, not after what I've put you through."

"Then, we will put ourselves through." She answered grumpily. Andelko realized he was missing one or two explanations. He knew it was risky to leave Chiron but Chiron once again, assured himself he was strong.

"Each one of us came out alive but never have we been able to retrieve the plunders from our village. Each came running out in fear or agony."

"But if we could grab the weapons, no fear!" Acacia added.

"Yes, and the only problem is where to find them. Many weapons have been taken so they all look the same, but each has something in common—they were stolen."

"Which way do we take then?"

"Each way will lead us to Mother but she is very disorganized. I'm afraid if we try ev'ry tunnel, Mother may wake."

"Those weapons...do they shine with red?" Circinus asked.

"I can't say whether they do. One of the messengers told me there were bows, axes, scimitars, and daggers—shields, even."

"If they do, I can follow their scent. The odor of Mother is very strong like nothing I've ever smelled or tasted but I will sniff out every tunnel," Circinus reasoned.

"Then I will be right behind you!" Acacia wanted to back him up and not lose him.

Mother would have to take me first. The sooner or later my death awaits me.

The first tunnel smelled like water and fungi; the second tunnel smelled like earth; the third tunnel smelled like calcified bone; the fourth tunnel smelled like sea; the five tunnel scented of fresh air; the sixth tunnel scented of pine; and the seventh tunnel of young hatchlings and open air, and in the seventh tunnel, something metallic, almost like treasure—but mixed with blood, perhaps the blood of a newborn bird.

"My scent is obscured!"

"Circinus, how about we try every tunnel?" Acacia suggested.

"I've tried every tunnel and the only one I'm unsure about is the seventh! It smells of newborn blood. I'm sorry, but we have to head in."

"I'm afraid you're right, I wouldn't be surprised if Anton Drought or Jan guarded these tunnels. Of course, I would save them if Mother guarded them of out appetite but if they were working together...who knows?"

"Circinus is right," Andelko said with much bite. "You guard from the back, Acacia, I will guard front."

The sound of dripping could be heard through every tunnel. The bones seemed just as strewn about as in every other tunnel. Acacia had the urge to kick them out of the way, but they made noise even under light tread.

Acacia thought whether or not she should extinguish her brazier but fire could also be used as a weapon, especially if the den contained twigs and straw.

I never did stop feeling claustrophobic on this journey.

All three persons and unicorns halted. After one profound crunch of brittle bone, a snoring, almost hissing, and wheezing sound echoed through.

I hope I didn't set her off.

"Was that you?" Acacia asked Andelko. He didn't answer.

Either he thought I was joking or my misstep caused Mother to stir, but I didn't blame Andelko for his snoring or the bone.