Secret Trials

Mulai dari awal

"No, I think Jason's exile was choice. Do you expect me to take back what belongs to Daphne though? I need an opinion. Do you think you are really ready to be my subject, whether or not I'm ready to rule?"

"You are rightful heir to her. Take back what is yours. She hasn't kept it a secret from you. You chose to be obedient, not meddling 'round. So, Ara told me."

"Ara?" Her surprise came.

"I know everybody, do I not?" The captain then gathered the crew in silence and employed his strategy to take siege of the port Siljeca.

After making for Siljeca, the captain summoned Acacia below deck. A gathering was made around a table holding a parchment of an old map. As the crew tried settling for the meeting, the captain took his matters privately, first to Acacia.

"Whether your encounter with your friend was temporary, I do hope he never returns yet I can't fathom why he doesn't join our side. Seein' as were headed toward a revolution, uniting men and beast, we must oversee what the old rulers asked either turning of the blade. I, myself, would rather have the beasts return to the wild; however, their own races disown them. To'morrow, it might seem soon, but tomorrow we arrive in Siljeca."

"I don't propose, captain, that it is best for you to strike without a strategy. There needn't be war. If it's me Medora is after then have the town take me because my siege and only purpose is to chase my seal, my fortune. I have no purpose in Siljeca."

"But Daphne has sent me a message. She has found your cousin in Siljeca headed toward the pass of Philippi."

"But Captain, also I hope for a smooth return to Daphne although I haven't trusted her lately. I can't leave her for my cousin. She faked her own death and now she plans to spread my fortune to ones she has exiled, as I hope it's not so, but as I've heard it from the family, that is my fear. I do not reckon what is happening in their world. For a while...I've been reluctant to find out."

"Strategy is what we're here to discuss. It's imperative to gain the port and perhaps we can do so without starting a war." His eyebrows grew grim. "And of whom I wonder from your family blessed you with this great news?"

The crew demanded the captain not make them wait any longer, so the shipmates put down their drinks as the captain slowly joined their ranks.

"Acacia and I are in accord," he announced. "We invade Siljeca tomorrow and some of us will go off toward the pass of Philippi, but war is not what we're here for. Sage Daphne sent me a message. Citizens of the outer world have breached our barriers and Jan intends to send his drunken masses our way with an armada of one hundred." He smiled sneeringly.

When Acacia heard the news, her shock blocked the anger. She sunk in her chair and navigated toward darker, and more wounded thoughts.

The captain's words then bled into her thoughts, "...after failure of invasion—that is—if the rest of my fleet does not arrive, we arrest Agora and bring her in. Stage a coup. But yes, we will take care and joy in Siljeca."

Another rang in, "What of the outsiders? How can we reach them before they reach us?"

The captain turned stern. "Sir, we may need to make some alliances and if we turn back from our direction, who will be in charge of Siljeca first? And we will make alliances not only with the port peoples but the wild ones, the unicorns, and dare I, the Kirin?"

Acacia shuttered at the mention of the creature's name. The Kirin tales were most elusive. Most of Kazimir's elders denied hearing them, but one or many high priests have vague beliefs in Kirin lore. Their wild manes like fire, scales like sea serpents, and teeth as long as their claws, and claws as long as stalactites terrified and mystified her. The Kirin of the East were only concerned with their own wild affairs, but they were unbiased when shown mercy, and deadly when one wrong word has been slipped from the mouth of a sailor.

"And sir, half of my armada will run through the pass of Philippi, after coup, and the other half will demand all weaponry under High Priest authority and High Warrior authority." The captain turned to Acacia, making sure he had her attention.

But Acacia interrupted, "Captain, do you know my friend, my good priest, Kazimir? Any word of him?"

His rigidity disappeared. The captain rubbed his temple and sank in his chair, heaved a sigh, and looked back at her with glistening eyes. Marko's eyes were as glassy and glazed as the sunken late-afternoon sea.

Capital Domain dwindled into upheaval three months after the missed court hearing. All shops across from Domain Private College and scattered shops including the Alexander Fishery along the river fell off the radar like pine needles in the Northern wind. Rarely did students and residents venture out of the town although everyone very much desired to see family or get a scrap to eat. No one knew where the city funds went. Jason and quite a few other authorities were proclaimed "missing or lost" but hopefuls at Dominion Church prayed for safe returns. Despite the upheaval in Domain hearts, the town felt cold and isolated, living but dead, hanging on a limb. The court hearing had been canceled but rescheduled. Judge Danika stood in place for city officials and soon reassured everyone most missing persons joined the search parties in hope of finding Acacia, Jason, and Ondrea. No one wondered where Kazimir had gone because he seemed to always go on vacation to see his extensive family, even if he couldn't afford it. If the town was forced to starve any longer, Judge Danika would be elected dictate mayor in favor of open trade to all neighboring cities and the wilderness.