The Subtle Sailor

Start from the beginning

"We will lead you to practical supplies," Circinus warned, "only that you never turn your back on your new guides."

"We will show you the way. I believe you can show us our way," Acacia added. "Is Medora the nearest hovel?" She searched.

"Medora, if you go by land, is the nearest town. I doubt if it's our nearest hideout." Andelko cautioned.

"What do you mean exactly? We are not in search of a hideout, though shelter wouldn't impede us." Her eyes turned skew-whiff.

"Don't be so assured. There is not much you can do unless you want to be the town drunk. For your friends the same." Andelko wasn't any less cockeyed, but Acacia cocked her head in suspicion.

To her surprise, the companions were unharmed by his words.

Chiron performed a bow to allow the traveler on his shoulders. "Only to keep pace," he expounded. Chiron said there was no time for interrogation. The traveler was even more hesitant than Acacia when climbing his massive shoulders.

"I have traveled by far longer than you. Lead us halfway to Medora. It's unknown whether I should expel our mission, but to convince you that Medora is our new known destination, I'll explain how I need to find a scholar, I mean storyteller, named Janus. He is privileged and withholds something important of mine." Acacia expounded.

"The something belongs to this land," Chiron corrected.

"Still, nothing you've said has told me about you," Circinus chided. "Who am I guiding? A merchant or gypsy?"

"Call me by Andelko. I am High Sailor of Medora and it pleases me to be guided and it blesses the seas between for us to meet." He bowed.

"I have met many since my first visit to Acropolis, and many I have met again, and have come to known after such a while. Hopefully, it pleases us to meet you." Chiron bowed back in statement. Acacia countered his gestural act, but she found clues in his eloquence.

"If what you need rests near my city, fate will follow us."

Setting up camp had not been discussed for over a day.

"I can venture forward by foot, but it seems we need repose." Andelko urged Chiron.

"We must find a hot spring. Our path lost the stream. Besides, the creeks may be polluted with spells."

"What I've heard from the unicorns is different. They have the power to heal, to recover, and to purify. My sailor knowledge doesn't lie. The famous sailor Anthony did not know what he saw, but lie, he never did." Andelko took large breaths. "I do not fear poisonous waters, or any water, for that matter."

"So, it's true?" Acacia rang. "Some I thought were stories strung by my grandmother."

Chiron snorted then heaved a chortling whinny. "It's best avoided. I'm impressed that you two have learned about our charming ways, but our natures can't be pressed."

The forest was covered in vines with umbrella-like leaves. Their veins and underbellies were a deep purple. The shade felt damper; the air felt cooler. Nonetheless, the journey from the sea was more grueling than recent the journey to it. The hill almost plunged into a ninety-degree drop. If it weren't for the stone monoliths, footing would prove escapable. What lay at the bottom of that hill was undeniable yet reassuring amidst the fresh air. Their cooler and quieter path was not lost, though festered in danger.

"Touch water and it might disappear. Drink it and you might die." Circinus guided.

Andelko shivered. "Much has changed since the days of the first rulers, yet our world is so young. And I am much younger, though I may not look it to you." He admitted that he had much to learn about spells and poisons, but Acacia and Chiron still snorted.