What was that?

A treee branch?

An animal?

Maybe even something worse?

I threw off the covers and walked slowly towards the window, heart thudding loudly in my chest.

I pulled back my white curtains and slid open the window, looking down at the grassy lawn below.

I was shocked to see Zach standing there, a bunch of tiny pebbles in his hand. He looked up at me and smiled.

"Hi." He said.

"Zach! What are you doing? It's 3 in the morning!" I exclaimed, whispering loud enough for him to hear me.

"You said you liked my car, so let's go for a drive." He replied. He said it so nonchalantly, as if it was a Saturday afternoon instead of a Wednesday in the middle of the night.

"What?"

"Come down!"

I shook my head.

"You're insane!"

"You know you want to." Zach continued, a knowing grin on his face.

I bit my bottom lip, considering it. My mom was spending another night at the studio, but my dad was home.

How would I get outside?

"I'll be down in a minute." I said without thinking. I closed the window and rushed to my closet, changing out of my Penn State T-shirt and into a thin lavender long sleeved shirt, and I kept on my plaid pajama shorts.

I threw on socks and my moccasins, grabbed my house key, then padded over to my bedroom door. I slowly opened it, making sure it didn't creak. The upstairs hallway was pitch black, and once my eyes got adjusted to the darkness, I walked on my tip toes towards the spiral staircase, slowly and carefully making my way down it.

Once I was on the ground floor, I walked over to the front door, unlocking it slowly so I wouldn't wake my dad. Once the door was unlocked, I opened it, then stealthily made my way outside. I went around the house to where Zach was standing under my bedroom window.

He looked at me when I walked over, jangling his car keys in his hand.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

                             ******We got into his car, and he drove off quickly

                             ******
We got into his car, and he drove off quickly.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"Somewhere we won't get caught." He answered slyly.

I looked at him.

"What do you mean, Zach? Seriously, I thought we were just going for a drive."