Missing Intentions

Start from the beginning

"What for?"

Jason laughed. "You don't mean to sound thankful?"

"It's not that we're not friends, but I think this should go to Acacia."

"You would really lead me to believe you would give it to Acacia—like anyone is that honest? Come on, it's just a little to get by and this way, if you keep it, I'll let you stay out of the case. Fair?"

"Fair but...hey! Are you bribing me?"

"No, think of it as a truce."

"If Acacia would like it, truce it is."

Kazimir sincerely wanted to help Acacia, but he had nothing to give except the bribe. He also had a deed to an isolated part of Domain which was given to him by service to the church years ago, the church where Daphne served as High Priestess of Domain years ago. Kazimir wanted to give Acacia all that he could, but Jason and maybe Daphne, would not advise it. Acacia didn't know what Kazimir was playing at, but he wanted to stay out of it against Daphne's, and even her own, wishes. Kazimir wanted to hand over the bribe to Acacia but didn't know how to tiptoe around where he acquired it.

"I don't want to be a part of this, Acacia!"

"Why not? You're my only defense against the mayoral throne!"

He tried to shut her up by emptying the bribe into her palm the same way Jason gingerly did.

"This has to be the most money I've seen at one time in my life. Kazimir, please tell me where this came from!" She whispered into a hiss.

"Don't tell anyone, okay? It came from Jason."

"He just wants you out of the case and out of my family. Daphne saw you as family. Besides, what would happen if you give it to me and decide to stick around?"

"I'm afraid I'm not a good liar."

"But that's what I'm for! If Jason asks how you spent it, say tuition. Oh! That's right. He's in the tiny government's pockets. Say you put it in the bank?" She spoke faster when she was nervous.

"I want you to have it. Either way, I shouldn't have been part of any of this."

Acacia took a bite out of his half-eaten generosity and accepted the material. Either way, she couldn't convince him to stay out of the will.

"I knew Daphne more than Jason would have ever and Daphne would have liked you to stay."

Later it was settled between the Alexander's and Malevich's that Kazimir would join Acacia and her family on the will. The decision was hushed and only sprung on the Droughts in court that day. Acacia announced in court that "Daphne would have felt it best" but soon more matters complicated. Jason wanted her to have so much more—too much more, perhaps.

He shot up like an over-eager Kazimir in class. "Judge, I could offer so much more than the Malevich's. They told me they were on the fence and..."

"Janus! Hearsay doesn't bode well here. Regardless of how much you could offer, Daphne Alexander would have felt it best." Jason sunk in his chair but his eyes scorned.

Acacia's bond with her grandmother, living or dead, gave her renewed bonds with Jason but it suffocated her. The mayoral heir and close friend seethed and fermented his jealousy on the mayoral throne. Acacia intended to have all of her inheritance but since part of the will went missing, some of it might have ends with Janus, the heir of Domain, for Daphne's intentions were kept beyond the grave.

However, before her death, she hinted that Kazimir was to inherit "more than his dreams" and "his studies will take him far." Ondrea was given some inheritance on his side of the family but, again, this did not support Acacia whose family went fifty thousand grand Domarians in debt. It was up to the lonely defendant, Acacia, to settle this by claiming all the will entailed: the church, the treasury, the garden, and the orchard all obscured by a deed that needed to be settled—she sought all. She sought Domain.