thirty-four

KARA STOOD AS far from Archie Andrews as she could as she listened to the news Betty and Jughead were about to give them

Betty was smiling too brightly for 8am, and Kara was sort of getting annoyed. Whatever news they had, it had better be good.

"So, the reason we called you guys here..." Betty began, beaming up at Jughead, who finished her sentence, "My dad is getting out of jail."

Kara's eyes widened and she let her own gentle smile settle upon her lips. "That's great, Jug. I mean, what happened?"

Jughead wrapped his arms around Betty ceremoniously. "Uh, overcrowding at the jail, I guess the judge reviewed my dad's case and after Cheryl's testimony it was a perfect storm," mused the boy, pure joy written across his face.

Kara was ecstatic for Jughead; it really was great news, but, from the look on Betty's face, they weren't finished.

"What did you need from us, Jug?" Archie asked suddenly, and Kara sent him a small glare. "Uh, well, we have a new lead on the Black Hood case," Betty interjected. Kara tensed and bit down on the inside of her cheek. It had finally been a day or two where she didn't have to think about the Black Hood for once. "Jughead and I were wondering, if you guys would follow up on it for us."

Kara narrowed her eyes, furrowing her brow, before unwillingly glancing at Archie. Of all the people Jughead and Betty could've asked to take over a lead, they ask the two people who can't stand each other. Kara shook her head.

"We can give you all the details, the articles," Jughead continued, giving her a pleading look, "It's just that I have to be there for my dad to help with his re-entry..."

"And I'm taking a break from the Black Hood," Betty explained.

Kara and Archie were silent for a moment. She wasn't sure if she wanted to get deeper into the Black Hood stuff anymore than she already was, but she supposed Betty and Jughead already did a lot and needed a break for once.

"So, you want us to be you guys?" Archie asked.

Jughead chuckled. "Essentially, yes. Why, is there a problem with that?"

Kara knew Archie was staring at her, awaiting for an answer. She didn't meet his gaze, though, just simply shook her head.

"No problem. Not at all."

-/-

"I have an announcement to make!"

Kara eyes focused on Jughead as he stood above the crowd at the Whyte Wyrm, a smile creeping onto his face. Toni was frowning, confused, but Kara knew exactly what he was going to say.

"My dad's getting out."

The crowd cheered and Toni shook Kara's shoulder jubilantly.

All Kara has heard about all day was Jughead's excited plans for when his father was released. Kara told him she was happy to help with anything he needed, but he told her that she needed to focus on the Black Hood case with Archie.