Chapter 1: Bewitched

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Barrett," Lady Granger said when he was finished. The footman bowed to them both and stepped smartly out of the room.

"Mother, that wasn't very nice," Hermione scolded her mother lightly.

"Oh, well, they are just too easy to frighten, aren't they?" Lady Granger's eyes twinkled merrily and Hermione did her best to suppress her laughter, even if she wasn't capable of suppressing her grin.

"Professor McGonagall, madam," Caddington said a few moments later, sweeping the door open for Hermione to see a severe-looking woman with black hair and a pair of spectacles perched on her nose. Hermione had never met any sort of professor before, but she had thought they were all men. She was quite surprised to find that Professor McGonagall was a woman.

"The Countess Granger and Lady Hermione Granger," Caddington introduced. Hermione stood and dipped a small curtsey to the professor.

Professor McGonagall stepped further into the room and Hermione felt her heart beat rapidly. She wasn't sure why, but she felt she knew that this visit was going to change the rest of her life. And she wasn't wrong. Professor McGonagall told Hermione and her mother strange and unbelievable things. She was a witch! Just like Professor McGonagall. And when the professor had transformed into a common cat in front of their very eyes, Hermione had thought she must be daydreaming. She pinched her arm hard to see if she would wake up, but it seemed that it was really happening.

"Could this explain some of Hermione's quirks?" Lady Helene asked.

"Quirks?" Professor McGonagall inquired.

"Yes, when Hermione gets excited, or very emotional, strange things seem to happen. Sometimes things levitate... We've had a terrible time keeping certain members of the staff. Her tutor is the fourth one we've had."

"Ah, yes, well, Mr Jenkins is a Squib," Professor McGonagall said.

"How do you know Mr Jenkins? What's a Squib?" Hermione asked. Neither she nor her mother had mentioned the name of her tutor. Just how much did Professor McGonagall know about her?

Professor McGonagall sighed heavily, "In addition to being a witch, you are what we call Muggleborn. Muggle means non-magical folk. A Squib is someone who is born into a magical family but has no magic of their own. Most of the magical folk are pure-bloods. There is usually one or two Muggleborns born each generation."

"Each generation?" Hermione asked. "So, I'm the only one?"

Professor McGonagall nodded, "The last Muggleborn we had was a boy, he's about ten years older than you. Prior to that was another girl, about twenty years ago. There's more..." the professor trailed off and looked concerned.

"More?" Lady Granger asked.

"Yes. Because Muggleborns are so rare, the marriage market for them is quite... fierce. Because of that, our government, the Ministry of Magic, assigns a wizarding liaison to each Muggleborn and their family to help them navigate the betrothal contracts as they come in. As well, as help the Muggleborn settle into the magical world."

"You make it sound as if Hermione is going somewhere. And betrothal contracts? She's only a child!"

"Lady Hermione will need to be educated with other witches and wizards as is our custom," Professor McGonagall explained. "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is the finest wizarding school in Britain. Schooling is for seven years. Lady Hermione will be eligible to go in the fall. She'll learn all about magic and how to control her talent. After that, it will be expected that she accept a betrothal contract into a pure-blood family."