Chapter 6: Time Is Always Against Us

Start from the beginning

"Logan?"

"I am here. You know I am always here."

He took my hand into his and rubbed the back side with his thumb.

"Your father and Johnny again?"

I nodded my head. The nightmare had frightened me. I hadn't thought about my father's murder in months. I usually suppressed the memory and only thought of the happy times with him.

"You told me those stopped months ago."

"I only get them when Dante is gone," I whispered.

He reached up and twirled one of my blonde locks around his finger.

"I wish you would tell me what is going on in that little blonde head of yours. You have been so distant from everyone, even Hannah and your mother. It seems only Cooper gets to be let in these days."

I swiped the tears from my cheeks and sniffed back the oncoming waterfall that was sure to unleash at any moment.

"I just haven't been feeling myself since the wedding, Logan. My body feels completely lost without him," I admitted.

"That is understandable, Arianna, but you cannot let your health deteriorate because of it."

He was right. Thinking about Dante's wellbeing every day drained my energy. I had an entire pack to protect with him gone.

We were still working out the finishing touches of merging the Hollows and the Shadowlands together. The council was still on edge about the merge. Some of them wouldn't let go of the belief that it was too much power for one Alpha to hold. We fought daily over it.

"I should get dressed. Alpha Terrence has requested yet another meeting about the Hollows."

I rolled my eyes and dragged myself out of bed.

"Well, you better not keep his highness waiting," Logan teased.

He hated his uncle and the feeling was mutual. Alpha Terrence resented his little sister for leaving the Blackwood pack for the Shadowlands because of her mate.

Logan left the room to inform Cooper I would be ready for him to take me to the Alpha meeting in a few minutes.

My fingers flittered over the shirts in my closet as I tried to choose my outfit. A wave of pain hit me and my knees buckled underneath me. I crumpled to the floor from the severity.

I screamed out in agonizing pain when I felt what seemed to be a knife piercing the side of my abdomen. I squeezed my eyes shut and clutched my side.

"Dante," I gasped.

Something was happening to him. It pained me to know he was so far away and there was nothing I could do to help him. I didn't even know where he was or what was hurting him.

I crawled to his side of the closet and picked up one of the shirts he had carelessly thrown on the floor. My hands shook as I stroked the fabric of the dark blue plaid shirt. I lifted the material up to my nose and inhaled deeply.

I basked in his scent. My racing calmed and I let his scent wash over me. All my panicky thoughts left my head and I was able to think clearly again.

He was hurt. But by what? I needed to find out.

When I was finally able to stand, I quickly dressed in a suitable outfit for an Alpha meeting. Nothing special. I really wasn't trying to impress anyone over there. But before I left the room I laid out Dante's shirt on his side of our bed. It brought me hope that he would be coming back to me soon.