The smuggler sighed as he stood up. "Come on, kid. Make it quick."

A line of portable refreshers stood under the trees at the edge of the festival meadow. He stopped in front of a vacant one. "Well, go ahead. I'll be right here when you return."

Rey shoved her dolls her in pockets and entered the compact unit while Han turned toward the stage and shaded his eyes from the sun with his hand.   

Once the little girl had finished her business, she slid out of the refresher unit quietly

Once the little girl had finished her business, she slid out of the refresher unit quietly. Han still focused on the Twi'lek on stage, but a Wookiee also stood with him now, drinking out of one of the Ewok's leather skins. She looked around, the cool shade of the trees and the delectable scent of the barbecue called to her.

Rey.

The girl jumped at her name.

Rey. The words elongated now, almost in a whisper.

She crept away from Solo and slithered between two refresher units. Glowing blue footprints hovered over the forest floor leading her deeper into the foliage. She ran in her Ewok suit, tripping over roots and colliding into kavak plants until she was scraped, bruised, and filthy.

Come, Rey. These are your first steps.

She sat in the middle of the trail and rubbed her eyes. "No. I'm tired. And no one wants to play with me. Threepio is busy. And Uncle Luke. Even Artoo. I never get to have fun anymore."

The air above the blue footprints shimmered. Blue specks flowed around the area, converging into the form of a man with dark hair that hung in curls around his shoulders. A silver lightsaber hilt swung at his waist. He lowered himself to the ground and sat cross-legged in front of her.

"You're a Jedi," she said with a big smile on her face. "I'm going to be a Jedi, too, one day, just like my Uncle Luke. Mommy says so."

Yes, yes, you are, Young One. The man's baritone voice echoed through the trees.

"Who are you?"

Someone who needs your help.

The girl tilted her head. "Why?"

Do you trust me?

She bit her lip and remembered everything Mommy said about not trusting strangers. But this was different. This was a Jedi.

As she thought about her Mommy and the Jedi, she saw more than the man in front of her. She saw tendrils of the Force connecting her to the man. Those same tendrils connected her to her Mommy and also to her Uncle Luke. "I guess so. The ribbons are there. Mommy said I could always trust the ribbons."

She stood up and extended her hand. "I'm Rey. Who are you?"

Ani. He held out his hand to shake hers, but it passed right through her. He winked.