Chapter Fifteen: It Begins

Start bij het begin

"Where do we go to join up? It must be starting soon," Matt asked Emma, a stern look taking over his features. It was time to get to work. 

"We go and form up in some clearing over there," Emma replied, pointing beyond the pointed tops of the tents. "You know I'd been wishing you forgot?"

"I believe you. You know you don't have to join them. I could try and help find you somewhere to live. I'm sure you'd fit right in at this small town called Scrap Metal. It's a couple days from here. Or you could go and help my mother on the farm, though I have my doubts as to whether she'd let you in. She doesn't like to be . . . helped. Though . . . I would prefer it if you came with me. If it's death you fear, though I know it isn't, I will protect you," Matt flushed red as he added the last part, offering a feeble smile. 

Emma looked down at her feet and Matt saw her lips move and thought he heard a faint 'I know' but couldn't be sure. A moment later she looked up at him, flashing him a grin and said:

"As if I'd need you're protection. But I suppose I'll have to come with, make sure you don't get yourself killed,"

"Wouldn't want it any other way," Matt replied, giving Emma a wink. "Shall we?" he added, holding out an arm in the direction they would be headed. 

The crowd was far larger than Matt could have anticipated. He had never seen so many people in one place at one time, gathered for the same reason. There must have been at least fifty of them, maybe even eighty, he couldn't be sure. There were younger men and women, older men, and those at the mid-point of their lives, from all walks of life. They were a diverse bunch, and Matt knew that could only be to their benefit. In that moment, Matt's mind strayed to Flint, who he had to leave behind at their tent. He wondered what his furry friend was up to, all on his own. He's a smart dog, he'll keep himself entertained.

Matt had not expected Foundation to have such a large expanse of empty space, it was as if they had built the city with an army in mind. The camp had been set up about one hundred metres from the great wall, and all the space between was empty, though Matt wondered for how long it would remain that way. The shimmering metal glinted in the sun, and the reflection was so intense that it stung Matt's eyes if he looked at it from a certain angle. 

It was exciting for him to have so many around with a common purpose. He could feel the energy buzzing around him; anxious chatter, fidgeting bodies -- everyone wanted to get on with it. They all watched Kestrel make his way before the group with Pine following close behind, both clad in military dress with rifles slung over their shoulders. They climbed atop a small makeshift stage that looked as if it would collapse from the slightest touch. 

Kestrel held up a hand to silence the crowd, and then stared into them for a short time. Turning on a heel, he began to pace back and forth, keeping his stare fixed on all those in the front row. 

"You are all here for the same reason, no? You have come to fight the Ascendancy, and put an end to it's oppression. They would hope to have us chained to lab benches, cattle for their heinous experiments! But will we let them?" Kestrel paused, awaiting a response from the crowd. When he was satisfied with the deafening "NO" he continued. 

"No . . . we won't. We will take up arms and cleanse them from these lands, freeing all who have fallen to their evil. Even now as we speak they are marching onwards, taking what they think is theirs. This land belongs not to one man, but to many. To all of us, and all of our children. It is time we set the world back on course," Kestrel concluded to a roar of applause. Matt did not join in the cheers, nor did Emma. The anger and grief that had been clouding his mind the day before had cleared, and he no longer had such a fervor for blood.