chapter 20 - The Stranger

Start from the beginning

"We've gotta go," Emma told him. "Operation Cobra calls."

"I didn't think you believed any of that," August told them.

"Well, I don't," Emma answered. "But sometimes it's the only way to get through to Henry, Rose and Lisa."

"Freya, Ella, heard what you two were planning, and a custody battle against Regina isn't going to accomplish anything," August told them. Freya gave him a look. Ella chuckled in disbelief. "You need to look at the big picture, understand what you're up against; that's the only way you'll know how to beat Regina."

"Okay, new guy, how's that?" Ella asked.

"Take the day off, come with me, and I'll show you," August told them.

Freya knew what he was up to, trying to help her get Emma and Ella to believe, dropping a hint when she said magical. "And where exactly would we be going on this magical mystery tour?"

August smirked at the hint, looking at Emma and Ella. "If I told you, you would never come. Oh, come on, take a leap of faith. You come with me and I promise you you'll find exactly what you're looking for."

"The kids need us," Ella told him. "We don't have time for faith."

Inside

Freya, Ella and Emma walked into the diner toward the kids, sitting with them.

"Hey," Freya told them. "What's the emergency?"

Henry spoke in a hushed whisper. "Shh. This is sensitive."

"If it's sensitive, why are we at Granny's, out in the open?" Emma asked.

Rose shrugged. "We're hungry. Who else knows that we hide the book at the Sheriff's station?"

Ella shook her head. "No one. Why?"

"Someone changed it," Lisa answered. "There's a new story it."

"Yeah," Henry agreed. "But why would someone add a new story?"

"To tell us something we need to know about the Curse," Lisa answered.

"And what would that be?" Rose asked.

Lisa shrugged. "I don't know. Story isn't finished."

"Why would someone go to so much trouble to add a new story and not bother finishing it?" Freya asked.

Rose took the book from Lisa to look at it. "That's what's weird. The story's about Pinocchio. Everyone knows how that ends."

"Well, maybe that's why it was left out," Henry told them.

Lisa frowned. "Or maybe... there's more to it. I think I remember something about Pinocchio. But not all of it."

"It'd be a lot easier if you could remember everything all at once, Lisa," Henry told her. "A lot easier."

Rose smiled. "Yeah."

Freya stood to take their hands. "Henry. Lisa. Rose. We're gonna be late for school. Let's go."

Freya led the kids away so they could go to school. Emma and Ella watched them go thoughtfully. Ella took the book to look through it.

Flashback 1

Enchanted Forest