I was woken up by someone softly shaking my shoulder. I quickly got up and turned off the music blasting in my ears.

"Thank you" I said politely to the flight attendant before grabbing my suitcases and exiting the plane. As soon as I got off I felt the heat hit me hard...I'm definitely not in Harlem anymore.

"JAYDA" I heard someone yell before feeling a bear hug being placed on me.

I pulled back not realizing it was my cousin Aaliyah. I grabbed her and hugged her back for what felt like forever.

 I grabbed her and hugged her back for what felt like forever

(Aaliyah in the picture above)

"Okay okay let's get the hell outta here" she said dragging me to her black 2018 Mercedes Benz.

After originally being from Harlem and leaving when she was 5 to go to los angles Aaliyah stayed with me and our grandmother for 3 years at age 8 while Aaliyah's mom (my aunt) got herself together. After her mom got clean she picked up Aaliyah and never came back to Harlem. Even though Aaliyah hasn't been to Harlem since she was 11 her New York accent was still strong.

"Girlllll I missed you so much" she said squeaking as she started the car.

"I missed you too but no funny shit it's hot as hell down here and don't even get me started on this fucking car " I said making myself laugh as a rubbed the seats.

We talked and laughed all the way back to her and my aunts place. I stepped out of the car admiring their...mansion!!!

"yo dead ass Aaliyah tell me your fucking joking my nigga" I said hearing my New York accent getting thicker as I looked up in amazement.

(Their house)

"I know girl, living like this you already know I'm boujie now" she said flipping her hair.

Still in awe I quickly left her and walked up the pathway and into the house.

"You mind telling me how y'all got hooked up like this..." I said looking all around me before looking back at Aaliyah.