Chapter 1- Welcome to Juniper, Texas

Bailey Anderson

Bailey Anderson

I walk into school and head straight into my locker. I put my books away and grabs the books I need for class. Two hands fall on my shoulders I jump and put my hand to my chest. 

I gasp and put my hand to my chest.  I say in relief as I see my friend Jonny next to me smiling from ear to ear. 

"Bailey! Why you so late? I have been waiting for you! What took you so long!?" Jonnie says as he grabs my bag. I shut my locker and take my bag from him. 

"I had to help my mom with the community center late last night so I overslept." I explain.

"Dude you should tell me when you need help with center! I could have stopped by!" He says annoyed.  I never crossed my mind to ask him for help, but thats the type of guy I am. I usually just do everything my myself. 

Jonnie Mark

Jonnie Mark

Jonnie has been my friend since elementary school. He was the obnoxious kid that was the favorite because he would stick toys up his nose and I was the kid who would quietly play with blocks in the corner and if the teacher came to talk to me I would cry because I thought I was in trouble. 

The teacher tried to get me to talk but I wouldn't, which means that I was a target for bullies. In fifth grade Jonnie Mark protected me and stayed by my side ever since. He talked to me all the time but I would never respond. I would just listen to him.  He was an odd guy and very interesting to listen to. He would tell the strangest stories. 

I finally talked to him in 6th grade. I remember how Jonny responded when he first heard my voice. I asked him if he wanted to play with me randomly in class. His eyes widened and a huge smile grow on his face. 

He hasn't left my side even now as seniors in high school. I talk more since I am older but a normal student would still say I don't talk much. I had to adjust when I got into grades where I had to do group assignments and presentations.

Jonnie explained to me that I need to communicate not just so that people won't misunderstand me but for safety reasons. Like in gym in middle school I hurt my ankle and I didn't tell the gym teacher anything because I didn't want to interrupt him or bug him. I ended up fracturing my ankle because I didn't receive medical attention.