Happy | Karren Von Rosewald

Start from the beginning

"T-there's nothing to feel sorry about. I should have been clearer in my answers." Karren couldn't stand seeing you upset, for some reason.

Nodding, you turned your attention back to the plants the young girl loved oh so much. After a while, she took a deep breath and gathered her courage. Maybe you wouldn't be so upset if she spoke to you...

"What... What do you want to be when you grow up, miss?" She hesitantly asked.

"Please, call me (Y/N)! We're friends!" You smiled. Your smile made her feel all warm inside. "And to answer your question, I'm not sure yet. I was hoping to get into psychology, and try to understand humans a bit better. It'd probably help me blend in, too. In the end, I just want to make sure that I'm happy."

Karren frowned. Happiness wasn't an easy thing to achieve, she knew it firsthand now, but she hoped you'd get it. And lots of it.

"I... I want to be happy too." She muttered.

You chuckled and gave her a smile. "You deserve it, Kanae. If you want, I'll help you become happy! No matter what. I'll be here for you, because that's what friends do!"

She smiled at the thought of having a friend. Even if she was only 12 and you were 16, she wouldn't mind being by your side once in a while...

"I'd like to be your friend too."

••••
14

Karren settled on the corner of the doorway, attentively listening. She knew it was bad to eavesdrop, and especially on Master Shuu, but she couldn't help herself, seeing as you were both there.

"How many confessions this year, lover boy?" You asked as you hung upside down on a chair in his room. Valentine's Day wasn't your favourite, but you always enjoyed hearing about Shuu's adventures on the damned day. What a ladies man indeed.

"Six..." He rubbed his temples, laying down on his bed.

"Six?!" You shouted. "That's a high score! What a way to finish high school!" You laughed, eyeing the garbage can that was filled to the brim with sweets. Too bad they didn't know he was a ghoul.

"What about you?" He asked, smirking. "Anyone confessing on your side of the story?"

"Does Chie telling me 'I must have the patience of an angel to hang out with Shuu' count?" You asked, smirking when he groaned.

"No."

"Then zero." You smugly said, holding your chin up high from your weird position from the chair. Soon, you sat back up right to make the blood flow out of your head and back into your body. "What can I say? I guess I'm not what people are looking for. Especially when I'm around someone like you." You accused, pointing a finger at your best friend.

Karren highly disagreed with you. You were everything someone could ask for and even more! You were the most caring, loving friend she ever had! Surely you would be even better as a lover...

She didn't understand humans before, but now she was just confused at how odd their standards in society were. Taking in your appearance, she subconsciously made a list of everything that was perfect about you until her cousin spoke again.

"What does that mean?" He asked, faking a gasp.

"I'm just saying that you're incredibly pretty, and that you've got money, too. I'm just a middle class girl who got into the high school because of a mere scholarship. I don't have anything compared to you."