“Mom, its hard going up the stairs, “ I pouted.

 “It will be good practice for when you go to school tomorrow. “ My dad had said the same thing when I told him I wanted to stay downstairs.

 “Mom, I can hardly use those things!” I exclaimed pointing to the crutches. “How do you expect me to race to class every forty-five minutes with them? Dr. Mc.Smelly practically yelled at me for going to school when my ankle was just sprained!”

 “Dr. who? Anyway, you’ll get the hang of it if you just use them further than to the bathroom and back. “

 “Can’t I just stay down here? My feet are up, you can clean without me bothering you.”

 She rolled her eyes and I smiled triumphantly. “Fine.”

 Three chapters, two conversations and one argument with Darren who had just gotten home from school later, the doorbell rang again.  

 “Oh yeah, she’s here,” I heard Darren saying, and I was up in an instant.

 “About time…” I was muttered making my way to the front door. .

 “I think she’s been waiting for you.”

 “I was definitely not waiting for this jerk Sha-” I stopped in my tracks as soon as I looked way down at the freckle faced little green eyed monster named Peter that Darren called his friend.They were howling in laughter with Peter snorting extra hard.

 “I can’t believe she fell for it!” Peter managed holding his stomach in laughter. He high fived Darren and I rolled my eyes.

 “I can’t believe you have the devil’s curly hair,” I retorted, using the one insult I knew he hated the most.

 “Aisha!” Mom was behind of me. “I told you to stop telling him that.”

 “The imps started it!” I defended.

“Mom, she’s just grouchy because she has no friends!” Darren said.

 I narrowed my eyes at him but before I could say anything she held up a hand to stop me. “Darren, Peter, get going or you guys will be late. “

 When they were gone, mom turned to me. “Is this what this is about? You’re worried that your friends won’t come to see you?”

 I snorted. “Mom, I don’t need idiots disturbing me at home.”

 “Oh?” She raised an eyebrow, totally skeptical.

 “Yeah. I’m just concerned about the assignments I missed from school. “

 “Oh, so now school is important?” She put her hands to her hips.

 “Think about it mom. If I fall behind on assignments, it will be to my disadvantage when I return to school next week,” I reasoned.

 “Next week? It’s only Tuesday Aisha! You’re not missing an entire week of school!” She was adamant about forcing me to go.  “Plus, if you’re worried about your assignments, I’ll pass by the school in a while and get them.”

 “No!” I shouted a little too fast. “I mean…. I’m sure someone will drop them off.”

 She narrowed her eyes at me and chuckled. “Someone like Shane?”

 My face fell. “What? Why would I-? How did you-?” My eyes searched her smiling face and realization dawned. “I’m going to kill Darren!”

 “You don’t have to be ashamed of liking someone Aisha.”

 “What?!” My eye  twitched as the atrocity rolled off her tongue. She was saying it so coolly that I couldn’t help but laugh. “Mom I have an anti-idiot policy.Tsk. Shane! Ha! I would rather sit through a Barbie marathon with Alexa!”

 “Right,” she said, sarcasm dripping off the word.

 “Mom, I hate that guy! HATE. Don’t believe those dumb cliches mom . There isn’t a thin line between love and hate. There’s a freaking lava filled volcano!”  

 “Whatever you say honey,” she said as there was a knocking at the door.

I stared at my mother like she’d grown to heads as she went to the door. ‘Ashamed of liking someone’?! Ha! I was ashamed to call her mother after what she’d just said. Then, just when I thought that mom couldn’t get any worse in my eyes, I heard her yell, “Honey, its that boy you like!”

A/N: Guys, thank you for all the mad support! I do appreciate everyone who takes time to read, vote, comment and add this story to their reading list! You guys are awesome! 

-Summer ^_^