Chapter 1

"You did what?" Amanda exclaimed in anger after receiving the most astonishing news from her boyfriend. "I know you said you couldn't make the party because you didn't have a babysitter so I pulled some strings." Luis said. "I don't know who gave you the right to get me a babysitter and just so you know, I'm not at all okay with you going behind my back to hire a stranger to deal with my children," Amanda said, her blue eyes flashing in anger. "I'm sorry I went over your head. I was hoping you'd be happy with it." "Clearly, you do not know me well enough if you thought I'd be okay with you hiring me a babysitter." 

            "I'm sorry," Luis apologized, cursing himself for interfering when she clearly wasn't ready to go that far. But damn, he really wanted to spend some time with her without worrying if the kids were going to be okay with it. "I'll have to drop the kids off at Delia's and I'm sorry for blowing this out of proportion. I know your heart was in the right place, but I think it's best you call the babysitter and cancel," Amanda said, realizing that Luis had actually made an attempt to be helpful but she'd let her extreme independence cloud her judgement.

              With her olive skin, waist-length black hair and stormy-blue eyes, she had stopped him in his tracks the first time he'd seen her in the coffee shop downtown. He'd been convinced she was either Greek or Brazilian and then she'd surprised him by confessing she was of French origin. And then the second bullet had been discovering she was an asset manager with shares in boutique chain, Forever Gorgeous and not a model as he had expected. Then she had agreed to go to dinner. It felt like yesterday even though they had just hit their six-month mark.

                She heard the doorbell and went to open it to find her twins already back from their biweekly taekwondo session. "Hey, you're back already," she said with a smile. "Hey mom. Hi Luis," her daughter, Vanessa said dropping her bag by the door. "Hello, Vanessa," Luis replied, smiling at the outgoing little girl. In some ways, she reminded him of Johanna, a friend's little sister. They had the same hair, eyes and attitude toward life. As usual, her son Terry ignored Luis, saying hi to his mother and proceeded to grab a juicebox. "Did you say 'thank you' to Mrs. Cooper?" she asked, referring to a fellow mom who sometimes brought the kids home. "We did," they replied in a chorus. "Hey go take a shower and come down for dinner. I'm dropping you off at Aunt Delia's for the night." "Hey what's for dinner, mom?" Terry asked, peering into the saucepan filled with spaghetti, "Yum." She ruffled his blond hair and smiled at him. Both twins had their father's blond hair and while her daughter had brown eyes, her son had her blue eyes, coupled with his olive skin, she knew he'd be a heartbreaker just like his dad in some years to come.

            "Is seven okay to pick you up tonight?" Luis asked, dropping a kiss on her lips before turning around to pick up his suit jacket. "Yeah that's perfect. Oh and is the party casual or fancy," she asked, wanting to leave a lasting impression. "It's at a club so I'd say halfway between casual and fancy. Don't worry, you'll look great in whatever you wear," he said, kissing her one last time before leaving.

            "Wow, you look stunning. The bride-to-be has nothing on you," Luis complimented, awestruck by Amanda in a curve-hugging silver number and her hair left down. "Thank you and I must say, you look quite dapper yourself," she replied accepting a hand as he led her into his ridiculously expensive sports car. "So, who are the couple, and you think they'd be happy with my gift?" she asked, quite nervous. "Jared and Eliza, they've been together for about four years. And they're going to love your gift. Which engaged couple wouldn't enjoy a couple's massage," Luis said, touching her hand reassuringly. Amanda failed to hide her surprise that the party was being held at one of the most exclusive clubs in Boston, Almond Tree. 

           People didn't ask for prices at Almond Tree and customers only carried black cards. Usually, it was a venue most businesses used to entertain future clients to impress them. Tonight however, it had been transformed into the perfect venue for an engagement party with a chocolate and champagne theme she found absolutely divine. The white lights hitting the drapes gave the illusion champagne flowing on the walls while the carpets and tables, adorned in chocolate furnishings made Amanda feel like she was swimming in an amazing sea of chocolate. "J'adore. Well if this is the engagement party, the wedding promises to be magnificent," Amanda said to Luis, thinking she had just walked into any chocolate-lover's dream.

        "I hope so. I'm Eliza, the future bride. Hello, Luis," said a voice from behind Amanda. Amanda turned around to look at the bride. She recognized her from her tv commercials and magazine spreads as supermodel, Eliza Sullivan. The green-eyed brunette looked just as ravishing as she did on the many billboards in a red dress and silver heels. "Hello, Eliza," Luis said giving her a kiss on each cheek, "You look as amazing as always." "Oh Luis, flattery will get you everywhere. And who is your date?" "Eliza, Amanda; Amanda, Eliza," Luis introduced. After pleasantries were exchanged, Eliza invited both Luis and Amanda to enjoy themselves as she went to mingle.

          Luis had his hand on her lower back as he led her to the bar where his friends were congregated. Luis couldn't wipe the smirk of his face when his friends turned to look at Amanda. The future groom, Jared's jaw nearly fell to the ground while whistles went around with sounds like, "Where did you find a pretty lady like this?" "Gentlemen, meet my girlfriend, Amanda. Amanda meet the jackasses: Jared, the groom and his twin, Jeremy, both all around pains in the ass, Marcus, William and Carlos." Luis introduced. Several "Nice to meet you's" went around.

          "Yo Jared, where's your asshat of a brother?" Luis asked, taking a seat next to Amanda. "Right here, jackass. You made it," a voice said behind Amanda. Shockingly, the voice was achingly familiar, bringing unwanted emotions to the surface. "Amanda, meet my longtime friend, Jason," Luis said, his words coinciding with Amanda's shocked, "Jason," and Jason's "Amanda."