Chapter 4: History

Start from the beginning

“There’s something over there.” I point. Oliver looks in the direction I’m pointing. “It looks like a building.” I hop a little as I walk in an attempt to see better. Damn my height.

“I see it.” Oliver says. He nudges my mother lightly with his elbow and ticks his head towards the building in the middle of nowhere. Our talk has grasped the attention of those around us– being that we are so close together– and the group begins to chatter excitedly about the mystery building. 

In the distance there is a building surrounded by chain link fence. It looks like a large black box about the size of a ware house. As we approach it the grass suddenly gets shorter. It has obviously been cut or mowed. Other than that the fortress seems misplaced, nothing special about the particular area its been set. 

On top is a flag– the Corrector’s flag during the Defiance. It is black with white horizontal lines going completely across the rectangle, alternating between wavy and straight. Seven lines– four straight and three wavy– for the seven government officials that were killed that started the war. I have only seen pictures of the flags in history text books. The flag has a negative association so the Correctors changed their flag a couple years ago to a white flag with a tiny black x in the center. The fact that they used the Defiance flag instead of the newer one and the grin on The Clone’s face sets me on edge and apprehensive to join in the Typos excitement.

As we grow nearer and nearer to the building our pace slows and the chatter grows louder. Our fast paced walk has turned into a lazy stroll. But it still isn't slow enough to soothe the ache burning through my muscles. I stay silent and scan the area, trying to pin point exactly why they have chosen to stop here rather than anywhere else in this field. The excitement when the train stopped still fresh in my mind and how easily that was to kill by a ten mile run. I couldn't find a reason to celebrate just yet.

However, when we finally come to a complete stop outside the mystery building and howls of glee erupt from all of the group of Typos, and I join them. Messaging my calves and cat-calling toward the sky. Fists are raised and before I know it everyone is clapping. I am clapping with them. Applauding the end of our physical turmoil. Adrenaline– a feeling I thought wouldn’t return after it was spent running for two hours– tingles in my veins, making my fingers and toes numb and my head fuzzy. The feeling is welcomed by sore limbs and aching feet. Right now, my heart beats faster than when it did when I was running for my life, thumping erratically in my chest. 

In my moment of joy, I turn to the stranger next to me and throw my arms around them. The stranger embraces me back without hesitation, obviously caught up in the same joy I am. He pats me on the back with a large hand as he screams in my ear. I would be annoyed, but I’m screaming as well. His back is drenched in sweat and I assume mine is as well. I don't even have time to think about the fact that the only bottoms I have on are my underwear, my bare legs brushing his clothed ones. Too caught up in this moment of relief. 

I’m suddenly yanked from the stranger without even having the chance to look at him. But the surprise doesn't register in my mind as Oliver takes me into his arms, lifting me off my feet and squeezing me tightly. Leo, who Oliver has put down, is bouncing excitedly around us. My mother and Blair are holding each other and my mother is crying. Around us, people are either jumping up and down or laying on the ground and everything in between.

Oliver buries his nose in my hair. “We made it Elli.” He says, and I grin. I don’t know why. Made it where?

When I look over his shoulder I see the Clone again. The malicious grin on his face is unsettling. My smile quickly slides off my face when I pull away from Oliver. Oliver moves on to embrace the rest of my family. When I look at the other soldiers their expressions match the Clone. Their mouths are twisted into sinister smirks, their eyes glinted. It’s unnerving and it makes my stomach flip.