chapter 9 - True North

Start from the beginning

"And have your brother accompany you," the woodcutter told her.

Gretel took the cart. "Okay."

"Wait," the woodcutter told her, putting a compass around Gretel's neck. "Take this."

Gretel smiled. "Your compass?"

The woodcutter nodded. "So you won't get lost. A family always needs to be able to find one another, okay?"

"Okay," Gretel answered.

"Go," the woodcutter told them. "Be safe."

Hansel and Gretel set off.

In another part of the forest, Gretel carried some twigs to the cart while Hansel was playing with his sling. "It's getting late. We should go."

Hansel was still toying with his sling, causing his sister to take it away. "Hey, give it back. Come on, Gretel, give it back."

"No, Hansel, we need to get back to Father," Gretel argued.

Hansel sighed. "Fine."

Gretel picked up the compass. "Follow me."

Hansel pushed the cart, following Gretel.

Back where the woodcutter had cut off the tree earlier, his children returned to find that he was no longer there.

Gretel frowned in confusion. "This is where we left him."

"So why isn't he here?" Hansel asked.

They ran around that area.

"Father?" Gretel asked.

Hansel raised his voice. "Father!"

A sound emerged, and the two siblings ran into the direction of the sound. "Father! Father!"

Road

The woodcutter was nowhere to be seen. Gretel and Hansel turned back, seeing Vasilisa standing there.

Vasilisa smiled. "Hi. Who are you?"

"I'm Hansel," Hansel answered. "This is Gretel. You look familiar. You're a kid like us, but you dress like royalty, like a Fairy. Wait, are you Vasilisa?"

Vasilisa frowned a bit. "You've heard of me?"

"Everyone's heard of you," Gretel answered. "We know your adoptive mother, Priscilla. She's been looking for ways to find Jefferson, Grace and you. We've finally found you."

Vasilisa looked so incredibly relieved. "You've heard from Priscilla. Do you know where she is? Where I can find her?"

Evil Queen appeared, grabbing Vasilisa by the shoulder tightly. "It doesn't matter is they did or not, Vasilisa. You're not reuniting with Priscilla, or Jefferson or Grace." When Vasilisa tried to reach for Hansel and Gretel to teleport them away so she could keep them safe from the Queen, Evil Queen used the control of Vasilisa's wand to make her stop. "And you won't be able to protect these two from me either." She looked at Hansel and Gretel. "Speaking of which, what are you doing in my forest?"

Now