Chapter 6: I'm so sorry that happened to you

Start from the beginning

"Three scenarios. Someone in the office delivered it after I'd checked, he was close enough to slip it in her bag, or he was in this apartment."

Bucky's logic sobers them both, and they stare hard at each other. He feels a sick swoop in his gut. Fuck, fuck, fuck, this can't happen. He has to get back in control, he has to figure this out, he has to fix this immediately.

"What do you want to do?" Steve asks, and his even voice is enough. In an instant, Bucky rebounds, and begins outlining a plan.

"Alright. SHIELD ran background checks on everyone who works in that office building, I'll put them to FRIDAY and see if she can find any patterns they missed. You get that letter to forensics, see if they can find a match on the blood. I'll get Stark to put a new security system in here, and tell Fury to put an agent downstairs around the clock."

"Would she move into the Tower?" Steve asks.

"She won't, and I'm not forcing her." Bucky thinks. "Besides, the Tower's too high profile, too obvious. He would know to look for her there."

Both soldiers look toward the bathroom when they hear the sound of plastic bottles crashing in the shower, followed by a string of colorful swears. Bucky contemplates the door, before the idea comes like a flash.

"I'm going to show her to the other place."

Steve whips around, disbelief covering every inch of his face. "Are you serious? I know you want – look, I know this is important, I get it, but – Bucky, really?

"Why not?"

Steve thinks of the words in the letter, of the anger at you, now turned toward Bucky. His voice is full of caution when he responds.

"Don't rip my head off here, but I'm gonna go ahead and ask the obvious question. Are you sure you're not too emotionally involved in this situation?"

Bucky stares incredulously. "What the fuck do you mean? I'm not being emotional, I'm being practical. It could be a good solution, if she needs it."

"Bucky, come on."

"Come on what? Help me out here Steve, what exactly are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying, would you do it for anyone else? Or just her?"

"That's not the point."

"That's exactly the point."

"Alright, stop. This isn't about emotion, I don't get emotionally attached, I'm not a fucking idiot. I'm just – I'm exhausting all the options, okay?"

Steve simply looks at him, at the rigid posture, at the defensive expression. He chooses his words extremely carefully.

"Up to you Buck."

*****

Standing under the fall of water, you close your eyes, letting the steady stream heat your skin. You heard Steve arrive when you were stepping into the shower, could just make-out the rough cut of Bucky's voice greeting him, before the rush of water muted the world. It feels rude to hide, but you're not interested in talking to anyone else right now, so you linger, unwilling to tap out until the hot water is gone.

Well, you mentally amend, no one else but him. Bucky is the only person you trust right now, and his response in the face of your fear this morning was just one more reason why.

*****

The second he hears your confession, he has an arm around your shoulders, steering you to the sofa and pushing you gently down. He kneels at your feet, tucks in the edges of your blanket, and looks up into your eyes.