chapter twentynine

Start from the beginning

     So she decides to say nothing. She just bows her head and stares at her bare feet.

       He sighs. There's shuffling around the room and then his voice booms and it feels like death has already happened. And this is where gods die.

       "Those chains, Artemis. They drain your battery. You have nothing left. Your powers, ability to heal, everything is gone."

      She closes her eyes and relishes in the feeling of being somewhere else. Anywhere else but here. She feels so weak.

      "Hell is calling. And it's your name they shout."

       "no." Her voice is so tiny that she almost thinks she didn't even say it.

       "Oh, yes." He treks down from the throne with a smirk. His steps are so loud that Artemis lifts her head up and eyes him with shock. In his hand in her bow. Her arrows. He's going to kill her with...

        "You like it?" He asks, looking at the bow. "I decided what better way to kill the protector of the forest than with her own weapon of choice."

      Zeus clears his throat and claps his hands together, "Guards."

      "No." Her breath hitches.

      Two guards enter the room and they go to either side of Artemis and begin unchaining her.

      The room is spinning and she's feeling pale and dizzy. She feels sick. Bile is rising up her throat. It's all in slow motion. She fights to get out of the guards' grip but their stronger. Once her body is fully unbounded, they roughly yank her up on her feet and pull her closer to Zeus' throne.

      "No, no, no! Stop! Let me go!" She's screaming now, moving side to side in the guards' arms. "Get off of me!" Tears and snot rush down her face, her hair is frizzy and knotted. She's not concerned.

      "Hold her!" Zeus orders and the grip around her tightens and she goes limp. Soon she'll see Orion.

      But what about Adonis?

       Zeus walks forward until he's centimeters from Artemis' face. She stares at him blankly. She's tired. Her chest is heaving. Doing the exact opposite of her no-telling face. Her breathing is all over the place and her body is exhausted without her abilities intact. She's just a human, right now. It's a horrible feeling but at the same time, it's liberating.

     "Wait," he says, his eyes still on Artemis, "bring him in. I want him to watch." His lips twitch.

      "No! Please, don't!" She yells, tugging her wrists but she can't escape. The guards just hold tighter, rougher. Adonis' presence ignites something in her. It's the thing in her chest. It's pounding, echoing against her ribcage.

      The door opens and in comes Adonis with his hands chained in front of him. A guard pushes him inside and he stumbles as his eyes finally set on Artemis.

       "Artemis," He breathes out, his voice sounds relieved. Little does he know.

      Zeus waves his hand in an issue to move Adonis forward.

      But he doesn't move. He just stares at Artemis with a confused look.

       The guard pushes him.

       "Don't touch him!" Artemis yells and of course is ignored.

      Adonis stumbles again and the guard keeps tugging and pulling until finally, Adonis is standing beside Zeus. The guard then walks away from Adonis and helps the other guards hold Artemis back.

      "Good," he smiles. "Now for the fun." He pulls the bow up and sets the arrow against the string. "Hm." He sighs and takes a few measured steps away from Artemis. When he's ready, he aims the bow and arrow up and at Artemis.

       "What? No! Zeus? Please don't do this! I'll do anything!" Adonis finally realizes what's happening. "Whatever you want!" His voice becomes hysterical and cracky.

      Artemis twists her lips together to contain a cry that threatens to escape. The tears flood relentlessly, though. She doesn't want to die. She clamps her eyes shut and waits. Waits for the pain to come and go. Trying to ignore Adonis' cries is the hardest part. It's worse than any arrow.

The arrow retracts, it flies. Chains bristle.

She waits. But nothing comes.

Reluctantly, her eyes open and she sees Adonis first. His back. There's gurgling and blood on the ground. He turns his body slowly and Artemis can see the arrow sticking out of his chest before their eyes even connect.

"Oh, no! Adonis!" She sobs. It feel surreal. Her voice doesn't even feel like it's coming out of her mouth. She moves swiftly and holds Adonis just as his body falls to the floor.

He took the arrow. The sound of chains moving. It was him.