chapter twentynine

Start from the beginning

Her toes mock her when they can wiggle but her foot just won't move. Her eyes finally battle to be free of a dark bliss and they see royalty. A throne. A man with too much power. A man who will do anything for himself. A selfish man who thinks he can do good. But only destroys.

It's back. It's all back, though. The numbness is fading off like her senses once did. Her heart is rapid but even. Hard but soft.

She tries to calm it down, to regain some sense of calmness but when her arm tugs to fall to her side, she realizes she can't move her arms fully. Or her legs. She glances down at herself.

She's tied up to the wall. A single chain holds her up by the wrists above her head. Two chains spread her legs apart and tie at her ankles. She tugs and tries to break free but every single move causes more pain, more terror. Her wrists are blue. She's losing circulation.

"Welcome back," A voice blooms.

Artemis diverts her attention away from herself and finds Zeus.

He's standing straight ahead of her. To the left of his throne. He's smirking like this war has already ended and he is the victor.

"What did you do!?" She screams, and then winces at the sound of her own voice. It's tight and hoarse. She clenches her jaw, it hurts to talk.

He laughs, steps down from his throne and hides his hands behind his back, "Well, when I was informed you had escaped your cell and killed my guards..I decided I was being too kind. Too nice. I fed you. Gave you hospitality. A martyr future. Yet you return my favor by disrespecting me and my guards?"

He shakes his head and begins pacing slowly. "So, it was my turn to pay my 'respects' the way you pay your 'respects'. And unfortunately that will involve me speeding up this entire process of you dying." He shrugs like their talking about rain coming on a sunny day.

       A dribble of sweat beats down her face.

"I had one of my men send toxic air through the vents in Adonis' cell. You were also occupying the space so I thought, 'two birds, one stone'," he laughs.

Artemis curls her lips in a hate filled snarl, she gathers saliva on her tongue and spits.

Zeus scoffs, his gaze down on the floor where her spit piled. "You're only hurting yourself, Artemis." He sighs, stops pacing and takes collected steps towards Artemis. "But," A pause. "It's too late now for retribution. You must compensate."

"Where is he?"

      "Hmm? You have to be more specific, venatrix. I have no idea who you're referring to," his voice is innocent but his lips are smirking evilly.

      Artemis clenches her fists around the wire that's cutting into her veins, "You know who I'm talking about! Adonis!" She shouts in his face, tugging her face forward to get closer.

      Zeus laughs, again. He backs up and walks back to his throne and sits rightfully on it. His elbow rest on the arm and his chin calmly set in his palm. He stares at Artemis as if he's wondering what his next move will be. Like she's his doll and he needs to figure out if it's time to throw away or play with.

      "Do you wanna die?" He asks, narrowed eyes.

       Artemis stills. She wants to know if this is a test. It must be. If she says yes, will he just laugh and say her wish is granted. And if she says no, he'll just kill her anyway and tell her it's karma. He's unpredictable.