"She was happy about it," Austin answered, " Me? Not so much. But I guess if she likes it then I like it."

Maesi nodded along to Austin's answer. She could deal with Austin not being all that happy about her artwork as MAR. But, she couldn't deal with him being pissed about it. So for right now, not so happy was better than absolutely pissed.

"Now before I allow you all to take off with your projects," Ms. Caldwell's high-pitched voice cut in, "I would like it if any of you who may know who this 'MARZ' is, come forth and tell us. It would be very beneficial in getting this delinquent locked up for their crimes."

Crimes? Delinquent? This woman can't be serious.

Maesi eyes narrowed as she took a big bite out of her brownie. This is the reason she kept on with the murals.

A fucking mural was considered a crime, but calling the police on a sleeping boy wasn't?Or how about the blackface part that had last year was that not a crime in everyone else's eyes? Or better how about the Dean allowing his son to get away with rape is that not a fucking crime?

At first, MARZ was going to be a one-time thing. Although Kingsley, Abu, and Cyn constantly remind her of all the good she was doing. She still felt bad, and nervous, about drawing murals all around the school in protest. It wasn't until sophomore year when the news of what happened to Caroline came out and instead of having an assembly on what the fuck the word 'No' meant, it was on MARZ.

The Dean stood up there, looking unashamed that his son was involved in a rape case, repeatedly stating how he wouldn't stop until he found the 'culprit behind these heinous crimes'. All she wanted to do was go up there and knock the shit out of him.
But she kept her cool through all of this because she thought that if anyone would see eye to eye with her it would be her ART teachers. As you can tell she was wrong. Considering that how much they talk about their years of experience when it comes to analyzing an artist's paintings, they sadly could not understand the meaning behind MARZ's work.

Which is really irritating.

You know what really got under her skin about Ms.Caldwell, was her hypocrisy. She was Maesi considered to be the 'Hypocritical Hag'. Why? Because the woman would stand up in front of Class giving a fifteen-minute lecture on the immoral attitudes and unprofessional work of MARZ. Sometimes should go as far as to chastise the mural for its mess strikes and hideous blending. Yet, when it came to Maesi's classwork she was all compliments.

Maesi I like it. So expressive!

What was the difference between Maesi's work and MARZ's? Almost nothing. The only differences were that as MARZ her work was on a larger scale and she would use spray paint. Also, the signature at the end of the artworks were different. But, besides that, the artistry was the same. So how could Ms. Caldwell love her work but not MARZ's. Maesi doubted that the older woman even knew what the hell her murals stood for. Not many of them did.

"Maesi?," Austin's face came into her view as he waved a hand in front of her face, "Earth to Maesi?"

Her eyes shifted to him and then to the empty wrapper, realizing she had finished the brownie, and then to her portfolio he was holding, " Thanks."

—-
"Ohh that bitch would have gotten punched," Cyn states as she took a bite out of her pizza

Maesi, and her group of friends, now sat in the Student Union, with a Papa John's pizza. Maesi reciting the bullshit she had to listen this morning.

"Cyn you can't punch a senior citizen," Abu chimed in his mouth full of food, "and I don't have the money to bail you out of jail."

"She's 36," Maesi scoffed as she took a swig of her soda, "Hardly a senior citizen."

"Damn, really?" Abu's eyes widened as he grabbed another piece of pizza from their box, " I could've sworn she was fifty with all of that damn gray hair."

"Mmh," Kingsley hummed as she stabbed at her salad, "Having six kids will do that to you."

"Six!"

" Including her two dogs," Maesi rolled her eyes, "God I can't stand that woman."

"Funny how shit changes," Kingsley laughed grabbing for her water bottle, "freshmen year she was your favorite teacher."

"She was not!"

"Yeah, she was," Abu laughed, "you were all like—'oh my god Ms.Caldwell is so sweet'—now you can't stand the bitch."

Maesi facepalmed, shaking her head as she looked down at the half eaten pizza before her. Meanwhile, Cyn and Kingsley were laughing at the way Abu had mocked her voice.

Though, all of their laughter was drowned out the minute the door next to where they sat opened and in he walked in.

Edwin Honoret, the cutest boy she had seen in her life.

He was in her TEXTILE 2301 class. What had started as an elective for her freshmen year now became a part of her schedule every semester. The class was fun and everything but the best part was that Edwin was the TA, the cutest TA she had in her whole three years of being here. Not all was he cute, but the Dominican boy was amazing with his fashion. He was the only boy she knew could pull off a jum-

"Ohh she starin," Abu chuckled bring his cup to his lips, "she starin mad hard at janitorial boy."

" I told you to stop calling him that."

"Why though?" Abu furrowed his brows sarcastically, "You can't tell me he doesn't look like a damn janitor in that fucking jumpsuit."

"You're just mad you can't pull it off," Maesi countered.

"True."

Even with her bickering with Abu her eyes had not left Edwin. A smile came over her face as she watched the boy laugh at his friends.

"That's right girl defend your man," Cyn laughed snapping her fingers in a Z-formation.

Maesi sighed with a pout, "He's not my man. He has a girlfriend remember?"

"Ohh, that Tiffany bitch?" Kingsley snarled shoving a fork of salad in her mouth, "I almost knocked the shit out of her."

"Why?" Maesi asked looking over to Kingsley.

"Because she was being fucking difficult at Chick-fil-a," Kingsley shook her head, " 'I said light ice...does this look light to you?' Like bitch, if you don't take this fucking lemonade and get the fuck out my face. I will murk you."

The group roared in laughter as Kingsley's violent habits. This caught the attention of Edwin and his friends, who stood in the line of Starbucks.

Maesi's cheeks grew hot as her eyes met and she quickly turned her attention to the wall of the booth they sat at.

"Back to the janitorial boy," Cyn smiles knowingly, "Was it an accident or on purpose that he made it into the MARZ post."

"Accident."

"You said that shit so fast," Abu chuckles, "Why you lying Maesi?"

"I'm not."

"Mmhm" Kingsley hummed.

"I'm not lying."

"Mmmmhm."

--

A/N: So like I said this is loosely based on my life and relationship, but I actually had an art teacher named Ms. Caldwell. She is exactly like how I described her in the book and she had a crush on my math teacher, who was married, anyway, she was really fucking rude. I just about 'murked' her a couple of times.