2. We Broke Up, Sort Of

Start from the beginning

"Don't be sarcastic on me, Andrew." She reprimanded.

I gave her a shrug. "You started it."

"Real mature, honey." On the contrary, she stuck her tongue out at me.

I chuckled at her. "Mom, I'm so hungry can you please just cook breakfast for me? There, was that un-sarcastic enough for you?"

She chuckled back. "I won't cook you breakfast unless you tell me what you two talked about."

I groaned. "Mom, I'm hungry. Seriously."

She smirked. "Simple. Just talk."

"I'll just have to cook my own food then." I retorted, smirking back.

There's no way I'd tell her that I lied to Emma about not loving her. She'd totally flip out.

She cocked an eyebrow. "Just because you're a great cook, doesn't mean you can top me."

"Emma's already topped you." I replied jokingly.

She sighed. "Fine. You win. Though I don't understand why you haven't also told her that you're a good cook too."

"Don't wanna brag." I shrugged.

"Did you seriously just say you don't want to brag?" She asked, disbelieving. "You. Who never passes an opportunity to brag about something. Is it opposite day today?"

"Mom," I gave her a look. "No matter what you say or do, I won't talk about what happened between Em and I. Sorry."

She sighed again. "Worth a shot." She went out of my room and closed the door with a not-so-gentle thud.

I released my breath. "Sorry for being a jerk." I said to no one in particular.

I'm sorry I'm keeping secrets from you, mom.

And I'm so sorry I had to lie to you, Em.

I can clearly recall Em's face when I said those things I've said to her. I've never lied to her like that. I've never intentionally wanted to hurt her feelings. But I have to.

Now I'm staring to regret what I just did.

I've never wanted more than anything for her to say that she loves me but now I have to reject her?

To say that I feel like a horrible person was putting it very lightly. I hate seeing her cry, much less see a tear fall from her eyes. But, the fact that I was the cause of her crying so much made me want to just cry too.

Now my mom's upset with me. And there's nothing much I could do about it. It's not like I can tell her what happened.

Frustrated, I ran my hands through my hair.

I chose to lie to Emma. So I'm going to have to deal with the consequences of it.

Out of habit, I grabbed my phone to see if Emma texted me. I know the chances are few but I'm still hoping there'll be at least one single text from her.

When there wasn't, I was very tempted to text her. Just one good morning greeting won't hurt, right? I mean, we are still best friends, aren't we? She did say that I'm still her best friend...

I threw my phone to my bed before I did anything stupid.

If I said I don't love her that way, then I should start acting that I don't.

Sighing, I got up and went to my bathroom to do my morning routine. I took off my boxers––the only thing I wear while sleeping––and took a shower.