"I have a few friends that go to this school," she explained, noticing my confusion. "I don't want them knowing that we're related."

And with that, she drove off, leaving me standing in utter disbelief and disappointment. It was so often that Sierra said things like this, but today, it seemed to really hurt. Maybe because this whole switching schools thing was mostly for her, not for me. I really wouldn't have minded another year at my school, even though I was constantly bullied. I only switched because I knew she didn't like having me around. She thought I was crazy, too.

"She didn't mean that, Marley." Cole said, giving me a sympathetic look. We both knew that she did, but neither of us would say that.

"It's okay," I sighed. "Let's just go."

"Sure."

I followed the path down the sidewalk, walking through the front doors of the school, and scanning around for the guidance office. When I finally spotted it, I walked inside; checking to make sure Cole was still at my side. He looked pretty uncomfortable.

I was about to open my mouth and assure him that everything was good, but I quickly stopped myself. I was trying to get a fresh start here, and talking to thin air probably wouldn't do much for a normal reputation. I knew that a few people here had heard about my 'condition' because of their connection with my old school, but most didn't, and I wanted to keep it that way.

I walked up to the front desk, my fingers wrapping around the marble desk top. A thin woman that looked to be in her fifties or sixties sat behind it, and when she noticed me standing there, she spun around in her chair to face me.

"What can I do for you, dear?" she smiled genuinely, crinkles forming around her eyes.

I smiled back. "My name is Marley Anderson; I'm a new student here. Is this where I can get my timetable?"

"Of course!" she said. "The principal did tell me we were getting a new student here. I've got a folder with your name on it."

"Thank you." 

The woman handed me the contents of the folder, which included my timetable, a map of the school, and my new locker and combination. I took them with a smile, walking out of the office and into a crowd of people. This school was even more populated then my last, not to mention a lot bigger. The only reason I hadn't attended this one to begin with was because of the distance. I needed to get a drive to this school, where as at my old one, I could walk.

"Your homeroom is English," Cole grinned. "That was my junior year homeroom. It's awesome to have a fun subject to start the day."

"You think English is fun?" I whispered, trying to make my speaking look oblivious. I covered my mouth to make it look like a yawn, even though I knew Cole could hear me.

"I've always liked it," he said, smiling. "It's interesting."

I stared at Cole as a smile tugged on his lips, his eyes sparkling. I always felt so sad when he started recalling his past, back when he was alive. He would be thirty-five now, if he was still breathing. He would have a family, probably, and a stable career. He would have everything that he deserved, but didn't get. But instead he was stuck, eighteen forever. He could never live.

I always wondered why Cole had to die. He had never done anything wrong to deserve it. He was a good person, bound to have a good future.

But whenever I told him that, he claimed that fate has a funny way of working itself out. "Everything in life has a reason," he had told me. "I died for a good reason. I just haven't figured out what it is yet."