Chapter 8 - Stories

Start from the beginning

Helen frowned: “It was not bad, but just didn’t seem like a scary story.”

“Sorry, that’s the best I had.” I shrugged, “so the professional is here?”

An old man came up the stairs. Age carved itself in his face, hands and body. He went straight at us, and chose a comfortable seat around the chair.

He cleared his throat, and the others all leaned in to listen. Kerwin winked, so I thought it was the thing he said would explain the situation right now, so I paid attention, too.

“This is a story I never told anyone. It may seem a story, but it’s true in my belief. I tell this story mainly because of a request.

This is the story how this world become like this. We will start in a place far away, a world a little different from ours.

In this world, vampires do exist, although no one ever believed that. There was a special one. She was one of the originals, who were made a vampire in the first place. She was powerful, beautiful and wise, as the others. Also, she was cruel just like the others, or even more. In that world, each of the vampires had talents, referring to what they were best at. Like I said, she was powerful, but only just like the others. What made her so special was her talent, one that wasn’t supposed to be allowed to exist.

She learned. It seemed like a small thing when you first heard it, but it wasn’t. Whenever she saw a talent she adored or even not adored, she took it and claimed it at her will. So very soon, she became a common enemy in the others’ minds. Also, many supporters on her side became her followers.

The female vampire we were talking about was as close to the position of god as anyone could imagine. You could say she was successful as a vampire. She seized the power, both personal and the most important place in the society made up of vampires. However, she started to question the reason she was doing this. She found everything that she achieved appear to be meaningless to an immortal. Probably her too-long life made her see these things were not exactly necessary for happiness, since she had lost most of her followers for now, and new ones weren’t so sincere and supportive as the old ones.

After about a century of fighting for power, and another century to enjoy it, she felt empty. She no longer saw human beings as slaves, as she did before because although they were fragile and powerless, they seemed to be happy most of the time. She went into the human societies and tried to find out why. She even created a strict diet for her followers, so for a brief period of time, her districts had less vampire attacks though it was full of humans.

She considered herself paying her debts before. Some of the peaceful vampires agreed with her, and their pack was formed. However, the original supporters were rebelling. They enjoyed a too short life of immortal, so they could not understand her intentions.

Many of the young ones disobeyed the rules and went to find their own places. There was plenty of room for her enemies out there. The specific vampire didn’t pay much attention to reduce of her party. She was peaceful, finally found a way she enjoyed after such a long time. Unfortunately, she was not as free as she would like. The others came for her, wanting to kill her. Some too into power, that they were afraid she would come back for it one day, as powerful she was. Some didn’t think the close relationship with humans and vampires should be allowed. Some thought her talent should not exist. Some thought, some thought. Suddenly, she became the cause of every thing bad that happened to the vampire world. The rebels claimed themselves as justice, and they had a war with the vampires left to defend her.

She was not as into fighting and power as before, and there were less on her side. She was at a very bad position, but with her talent and the bravery of her people, she could have won, and found a better place to spend the rest of her life, the rest of the eternity.

The ending is very obvious. She lost, totally, and only escaped death by an inch. What made her feel worse was the reason for her failure was her partner’s betrayal.

The vampire lost her confidence in this world. Then she decided, since she had the power, she would make up her own world. The world that would be her last place to escape to. Before she went there with one of her most loyal followers, she made a partner for herself. She believed that guy betrayed her because he was not the right one. Since she ended up with nothing, she decided to create her own partner, like the world she was creating.

And that was how this world became. I guess none of you would believe, however this is the truth.”

Everyone was silent for a while. We looked at each other. Peter spoke first: “Wow, that was sure, er, different.”

I focused on Kerwin’s eyes instead, while the others popped up questions for the old man to answer. The strange eyes, one crimson red and one sky blue stared right at me. Hidden emotions were threatening to make an appearance, it seemed. Just then, the teachers called us and we were sent to our rooms.

That night, I had a strange and frightening dream. This was my first dream I could remember. I was the last player in the elevator game, and was left alone on the twelfth floor. The old elevator before me slowly climbed up. Then I realized I couldn’t go down by myself. I was shaking hard. I waited for a long time, but no one came as the rule said to rescue me. In the silence, I heard a small movement. Ignoring the rules, I slowly turned around. Almost immediately, I saw Kerwin’s eyes staring at me. The noise I heard before was him blinking. Hatred and anger could easily be seen through these eyes.

I couldn’t make a noise, and then ran for the elevator. The door opened with a crack, and I bumped into the icy surface of steel. Suddenly, I was looking at a mirror, facing the original myself. My face started to melt slowly, and the beautiful one on the tape surfaced. I turned back, horrified, and found myself covered in blood. I realized I couldn’t move at all, and I stared at Kerwin while he drove a dagger into my heart.

Then I woke, screaming out loud.

Wow. You guys were missing three whole chapters. How did that happen? I am a terrible person. Sorry! Does the story make more sense now?