“Who’s this?” Sue glanced to Peter and back. Then her friend’s gaze moved up and down Lacy’s body. “Did you know you’ve got your robe on inside out?” Then Sue’s focus swung back to Peter. “Are you going to introduce us?”

Lacy looked at her ex-husband, and she realized what they would think. But now didn’t seem like a good time to explain. “Sue, Kathy, this is Peter.”

“I told you she slept with him,” Sue said, glaring at Peter and then looking at Kathy. “I knew it. All those tears. I knew something was happening.” She pivoted on her heels and gave Peter a scowl. “I just hope he didn’t pull out before the job was done this time. Early withdrawals come with penalties.”

“Maybe he’s gotten on the little pill,” Kathy said, with the same venom in her voice. Lacy’s heart swelled with love. Only really good friends would rake an ex over the coals for you.

Peter’s mouth dropped open as if he’d been slapped. Lacy nearly choked on her laughter; then the doorbell rang again. “What is this? Grand Central?” she muttered.

She swung open the door, and there stood the plumber, but he wasn’t alone. Standing behind him was . . . oh, God!

“Mama?” Lacy squeaked. “What are you doing here?”

“What’s my plumber doing here?” Kathy asked. The question brought Lacy’s gaze back to her friend, and she stared at Kathy’s wide-eyed expression. Peter cleared his throat and stared daggers at Sue.

“Uhh.” Lacy’s mind whirled.

Kathy pointed at the plumber and frowned at Lacy. “Did you get my discount?” she asked, a touch of jealousy in her voice.

Lacy shook her head. “No.”

“What discount?” Mr. Bradley asked, his smile and all his attention directed toward Kathy. “What a surprise to—”

“For Pete’s sake!” Lacy’s mother shrilled as her brown eyes flitted to Peter. “What in Hell’s highway is he doing here?”

Lacy turned back to Peter. With five people in the entryway and soda-soaked paper towels on the floor, she barely had room to turn.

“She slept with him,” Sue accused, glaring at Peter again. “I can’t believe she slept with him. I think . . .” Sue’s chatter continued, bouncing around the crowded space, causing Lacy’s head to hurt.

“I did not sleep with Peter,” Lacy snapped.

“Did you sleep with my plumber?” Kathy asked, over Sue’s constant ranting.

“With me?” asked Mr. Bradley clearly shocked. His voice sounded hoarse.

“You’re sleeping with him, too?” Her mother’s high-pitched voice seemed to echo in the hall.

“So you are sleeping with him?” Kathy asked.

Lacy’s mouth opened, but she couldn’t think any more, couldn’t speak. Sue, God love her, was giving Peter the lowlife speech, Kathy kept asking about her relationship with the plumber, and her mother kept going on about Peter and the secretary on film in the elevator.

“Please tell me you didn’t sleep with Peter, too.” Her mother’s voice rose above the chorus.

“At least I was married to her,” Peter shot back, his voice rumbling with anger. “And hello to you too, Mrs. Callahan.”

“Don’t hello me, you . . . you elevator freak. How dare you show your ass to half of America and screw your secretary when you’re married to my daughter!”