19 | temporary happiness

Start from the beginning

"Because what, Ali?" Lawrence probed impatiently.

"Because I'm a lesbian!" she shouted, throwing her hands up and then covering her mouth after realizing she couldn't take the words back.

"What?" Adam and Lawrence both spoke at the same time and peered at her in disbelief.

Lawrence began to howl with laughter but then stopped when Adam punched him in the arm. "Dude, she's not kidding," Adam whispered.

Lawrence looked her in the eyes. "Wait? Ali are you serious?"

Alison's shoulders rose up a little as if she could hide her slightly timid face between them. "Yeah," she spoke sheepishly—something she didn't do often.

"You didn't think to tell me when I asked you out ten years ago?" Lawrence sneered sarcastically. Adam squeezed his hand, silently telling him to calm down.

Alison closed her eyes, putting her hand on her forehead and sighing. "I didn't know then—genius," she shot at Larry. Calming down, she let out a breath, "This divorce has sent me into some sort of sexual awakening or something."

Lawrence calmed down as well from the initial shock and then bursted out laughing.

"What?" Alison giggled at him.

Lawrence slapped his leg and tried to breathe as he wiped tears of laughter from his eyes. "Look at us," he pointed between the two of them. "We're both gay. I guess it just took us marrying each other and divorcing to find it out."

Alison laughed along with him as did Adam. Alison looked at the clock and sat up a little. Nudging Lawrence, she looked at the clock and back at him.

Lawrence saw that it was finally twelve. "Oh!" he mouthed silently at her and stood up without warning.

Adam was surprised by the sudden movement. "Where are you going?"

"Where are we going." Lawrence corrected him then left the room. Adam sat perplexed on the couch and gave Alison a look as if to ask what was happening. She shrugged at him, playing dumb.

Lawrence was soon back in the room with two pairs of ice skates in hand. He looked to Adam from across the room. "Do you know how to ice skate, baby?"

"No?" Adam scoffed loudly.

"Welp, you're gonna learn tonight."

"It's midnight, Lawrence. Every rink is closed," Adam laughed.

"Not every," Lawrence winked at Alison.

"You sly dog," Adam shook his head getting up from the couch. Just inches away from Larry's face, Adam whispered, "I don't trust you one bit—but I'm still going." He pecked Larry's lips quickly.

Lawrence patted his back hard, "Alright, get your jacket."

"You're good to drive?" Alison called across the room at Lawrence.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he waved as he put on his shoes.

Adam and Lawrence were both on their way out the door but stopped and turned to look at Alison still sitting on the couch when she spoke. "Have fun boys," she waved goodbye at them jokingly.